Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-29-2007, 08:23 PM

bassman is on a distinguished road
Default Moral Dilemma

I just moved to Quesnel, BC (pop. 10, 000) and have finally setup a system again. So I am starting to look at what livestock retailers are in my area.

Well there is a Petco down the street from me which sells some SW stock, corals, mushrooms, etc.

In the front of the store they have a 55 gal SW display tank of which nothing in it is for sale. This tank is over run with hair algae and house 4-5 different species of anemones. They have a couple large clowns in there as well.

Installed in the tank is a large airstone pumping out so many micro bubbles it's hard to see through the water. And the lighting is just regular PC's if that.

So my dilemma is if I should mention that the anemones require much more powerful lighting and that they should not all be in the same tank or not. As well as knocking down the micro bubbles a tad, if not all together. I know there are varying opinions on air stones in SW systems.

Problem is the manager/owner is kind of a krank pot if you know what I mean, not much of a personality what so ever. Also this is the only local store that carries any SW. The next closest is 1.5 hr drive on shitty mountain roads. So I don't want to **** this person off should I need them to start ordering me some products or livestock.

I just hate to see all those anemones waste away.

Any thoughts?

230 mixed reef / 230 gal sump/fuge
Old 11-29-2007, 08:32 PM

skylord is on a distinguished road

Ya one thought....J&L Aquatics ships. So does OA......guess thats 2 thoughts. A third....I would tell the guy what he needs to know and order from OA or J&L.

Scott
Old 11-29-2007, 08:41 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I second Scott's comments. Maybe approach the Petco and let them know their animals need additional care. Word it tactfully, and maybe provide some literature to back yourself up. In the meantime, don't purchase from them, and take your money elsewhere.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:45 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

No reason couldn't point out in a nice way and if he freaks, walk.

Maybe try the approach, nicer tank, more sales.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

I have to say I agree with all the above. Good luck, and even if they get upset at least you'll know you did the right thing.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't spend a penny at the store and get everything from J&L and OA or anyone else you can find that will ship at a reasonable price.
I would tell the guy he is not doing himself or the tank inhabitants any good. but you never know when you'll be strapped for a pump or something and just might have to go in a get something.
But he must understand that if he wants to promote SW he should do it by having a tank that looks like crap.

J
Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

But what is he going to do, even if it does anger him? Not let you shop there? Not order something for you? That's just stupid and petty.

But I also agree with the above--take your business (if possible) to a more reputable place!

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 11-29-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef View Post
But what is he going to do, even if it does anger him? Not let you shop there? Not order something for you? That's just stupid and petty.
Who knows, there is a reefing club in the states that are banned from Petco for trying to change conditions in one of their stores.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:52 PM

bassman is on a distinguished road

Wow thanks everybody. I stopped there to rescue that anemone a few minutes ago and after seeing how they treat their livstock I won't be buying anything from there.

The woman was tugging and pulling it, trying to pry him off of his rock. So I told her to just leave the poor thing alone. I am 99.9% sure it's injured after that! Some people man! I even told her to just remove the rock he is on and I will bring it back once I got him to move off the rock himself. Nope that wasn't an option, she would have to take the entire tank apart. Not true the poor thing is sitting just about as high as he can get in the tank on one nice little chunk of rock. Obviously starving for light.

Oh well, I will be saying something the next time I go in there. I just want to choose my words right and make sure I can back up what I say first. I am hoping her husband will be there too, apparently he is the one who knows everything, or is that nothing. Hmmm

Thanks again everybody.

230 mixed reef / 230 gal sump/fuge
Old 11-29-2007, 10:54 PM

I'm glad you too action to rescue the anemone. I hope he/it recovers and things go well when you speak to the guy about it all.