Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-31-2007, 06:26 AM

kwirky is on a distinguished road
Default considering going back into reefs, but small scale

ok, so my 120g's coming down, can't even keep freshwater in it. I should have just sold the entire thing, instead of converting it back to freshwater.

I still want a tank, but I think for small tanks, a nano-reef would be most rewarding for my lifestyle compared to a little freshwater. I'm a student, with a student's spare time, and a student's budget (not much of either). I still have various things for saltwater, like salt mix, the RO/DI unit, test kits, dosing chemicals, maxijets, a mag 700, a JBJ auto topoff. The "cost difference" between big and small isn't much for me since I already have some of the gear.

here's the issues, and I'm wondering if anyone has feedback on how to design a tank around them:

I need something that won't die out much when it's moved. My current living arrangements aren't permanent, and I may be moving again in december. I don't have much space and I'd like to keep some of the costs down. Something that will require the least maintenance; I was thinking skimmerless with weekly water changes would be less maintenance than dosing this and dosing that and emptying skimmer cups and all that jazz. What's the maximum size for a skimmerless setup really?

Because of the need to move around, I'm thinking softies and zoos would be the best. I'm thinking stuff that grows fast would be the best because the tank is not long term. Maybe some cubish tank 'round 20-30 gallons lit by a single 250W 20k MH light? possibly MH this time for a cube tank, instead of T5's. Sumpless would be fine, since I have a JBJ auto topoff unit, and it'd be skimmerless anyways.

The whole problem with my 120g was I got too caught up in the equipment. I ended up having to buy all sorts of equipment because of it's large size. I'm thinking less "gear" will be needed for a skimmerless nano-ish setup housing mainly softies and zoos, with the occassional lps. Maybe specialize in rare and expensive softies, since I'll be buying fewer of them Oh and the less equipment I buy the better, because I'll probably change the entire system half a year later, since that's what I often do...

60g 24x24x24 is what I'm thinking, with a 250 or 400W 15k or 20k MH. Mostly powerheads for flow due to their versatility. Softie/zoo tank.

oh and I still have a fair ammount of liverock. Enough for a heavily packed 60g system even.

Last edited by kwirky; 08-31-2007 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:03 AM

ron101 is on a distinguished road

I don't think there is a maximum size for a 'skimmerless' system. IMO it is more dependent on bio-load; keep it low for low maintenance.

For a simple 2' cube softie tank I would do: 1 x 150W MH (LED/actinics optional), 1 x heater, and 2 x koralia-1.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:35 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwirky View Post
ok, so my 120g's coming down, can't even keep freshwater in it. I should have just sold the entire thing, instead of converting it back to freshwater.

I still want a tank, but I think for small tanks, a nano-reef would be most rewarding for my lifestyle compared to a little freshwater. I'm a student, with a student's spare time, and a student's budget (not much of either). I still have various things for saltwater, like salt mix, the RO/DI unit, test kits, dosing chemicals, maxijets, a mag 700, a JBJ auto topoff. The "cost difference" between big and small isn't much for me since I already have some of the gear.

here's the issues, and I'm wondering if anyone has feedback on how to design a tank around them:

I need something that won't die out much when it's moved. My current living arrangements aren't permanent, and I may be moving again in december. I don't have much space and I'd like to keep some of the costs down. Something that will require the least maintenance; I was thinking skimmerless with weekly water changes would be less maintenance than dosing this and dosing that and emptying skimmer cups and all that jazz. What's the maximum size for a skimmerless setup really?

Because of the need to move around, I'm thinking softies and zoos would be the best. I'm thinking stuff that grows fast would be the best because the tank is not long term. Maybe some cubish tank 'round 20-30 gallons lit by a single 250W 20k MH light? possibly MH this time for a cube tank, instead of T5's. Sumpless would be fine, since I have a JBJ auto topoff unit, and it'd be skimmerless anyways.

The whole problem with my 120g was I got too caught up in the equipment. I ended up having to buy all sorts of equipment because of it's large size. I'm thinking less "gear" will be needed for a skimmerless nano-ish setup housing mainly softies and zoos, with the occassional lps. Maybe specialize in rare and expensive softies, since I'll be buying fewer of them Oh and the less equipment I buy the better, because I'll probably change the entire system half a year later, since that's what I often do...

60g 24x24x24 is what I'm thinking, with a 250 or 400W 15k or 20k MH. Mostly powerheads for flow due to their versatility. Softie/zoo tank.

oh and I still have a fair ammount of liverock. Enough for a heavily packed 60g system even.
Is a 60 that much easer than a 120

Old 08-31-2007, 01:58 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I'm just curious: why would your landlord evict you for having a 120G, but not for having a 60G?!

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 08-31-2007, 08:10 PM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron101 View Post
I don't think there is a maximum size for a 'skimmerless' system. IMO it is more dependent on bio-load; keep it low for low maintenance.
I second that, gallons do not produce bio-waste animals do.

~~~
Old 08-31-2007, 10:14 PM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

lol i just started again to, i just started a 8.9 gallon aquagiant tank, i modded the canopy to fit 3 8 watt 12inch t5 and 6 nine watt pc lights, 4 act, and 2 10k, have about 20 lbs of live rock and a small purple mushroom and a small polyp colony, i have a 200 watt heater in the back and a seio 820 for flow and a 3 stage filter in the back, this tank is sweat right now
thanks
victor