Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 PM

michika is on a distinguished road
Talking What to look for in a house when planning a large tank

After having recently sold my house I'm now looking for a different property. My goal is eventually to have a larger tank, ~600-1200g display. I need some help figuring out what are the right questions to be asking, and what are the things that I should be looking for in a house/townhouse to help me accomidate a larger tank.

Tentatively I have the following on my list:
- HRV
- Condo rules & regulations
- Water, is the property running on city or well water.
- I know I should be asking about the floors, but which questions?

Help?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:20 PM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road
Question Hrv?

-I always see that what does i meen? HRV...?

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg
Old 07-17-2007, 08:28 PM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road
Default -0-btw

-o by the way i dont know about edmonton but here in burnaby i don't think u can have a tank that massive in size in an apartment or townhouse?

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg
Old 07-17-2007, 08:30 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Buying a new house is always extra exciting for a reefer! You probably won't run into a house that's designed with a reef tank in mind so here are a few things I considered when doing my basement remodel around my tank:

1. A basement
Having a basement tank will probably obviate the need for a chiller even with MHs and having the tank sitting on a concrete slab eliminates any structural concerns. An unfinished basement is the best since it gives you a blank slate to work from.

You'll need a surprising amount of room with all the equipment and suppport systems required for a huge tank.

2. The slab
If you are looking at new houses, fresh concrete takes at least a few months to a few years to fully cure. Any tiling you do on top of fresh concrete could shift/expand. Therefore, consider laying an isolation membrane. For older houses, check the flatness/trueness of the slab and for any damage. I actually had to have a new 3x7 slab poured because the old one was so uneven.

3. Electrical
You're going to use A LOT of electricity. Most houses don't come with multiple 15amp (or preferably 20amp) circuits. I had my basement rewired for two dedicated 20amp circuits just for the tank with multiple GFCI outlets.

4. Plumbing.
You'll want a fishroom with such a big display. Look for a floor drain (probably in the basement laundry room). Also consider how difficult it would be to add an extra tap/basin and RO/DI hookup.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

I was going to say with a system that large, a basement is the place to be, but fkshiu beat me to it.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:29 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

If you are going for such a large tank, don't even bother looking at condos or apartments as most apartments/condos are not designed to handle such large loads on the floor. I would put it in a basement with a couple concrete piles underneath it
Old 07-17-2007, 09:44 PM

My goal is to put it in the basement of a house, or a side by side townhouse condo. I never planned to do something like an apartment type condo, as I require a lawn for my dogs.

I figure I would need about three to four times the space that I needed for my 230g. Since my 230g didn't have a separate and dedicated fishroom that is something I want to include this time around.

Electrical is all covered, no worries there. Krazykuch is an electrician by trade, and so is my father. On the 230g we ran two separate dedicated GFCI circuts at 15 amps each. I will probably going that route again, although probably with 4-5 curcuits as needed.

How would I find out about the concrete slab? Other then knowing the date the house was built is there another way to find out its age, or if it has cured?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:33 PM

SEAN DUFFY is on a distinguished road
Talking concrete

houses built in the last 15 years usually have 4'' slabs before that they were
8'' slabs for a new house to cure it usually takes at least 3 years for settling
that doesnt mean buy an old house
Old 07-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

You'll also want to decide if this will be an in-wall or 2 or 3-sided viewing tank. It'll be nice if you can do like TomR & have your fishroom directly behind the display tank. If that's not possible, look into building a false wall (a la TomR again) to hide your plumbing.

Getting a tank that size into a house is another huge consideration. Groundfloor or garage entry will be best for the reefers helping you to carry in this future monster. I know of a few people who bought large tanks but couldn't get it into their home so learn from their experience. Some monster tanks end up having to be built on-site.

Venting - make sure you install proper venting so you can blow out the extra humidity.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAN DUFFY View Post
houses built in the last 15 years usually have 4'' slabs before that they were
8'' slabs for a new house to cure it usually takes at least 3 years for settling
that doesnt mean buy an old house
I kind of prefer older houses for their architecture, but I'm trying not to be too picky. When you say 8" slab are we talking floors only, or walls as well?

I'm still waiting on finding the correct property before determining the exact shape and dimensions for the system. I want to make sure that I can either have the tank assembled and brought in the house, or assembled in the house.

Optimally I would love a behind the tank fishroom, with at least two viewable sides. Again, it will all depend on what kind of basement space I can find.