Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 09-24-2011, 01:30 AM

Hustler is on a distinguished road
Default RO units/water filtration units...What can you do with them?

I have a 3 stage carbon/clhorine/clhorimine system plumbed into my tank that I have no idea what to do with now..... It was used for a constant drip water changer on my freshwater system....
Also an ro unit that either needs to be rebuilt or turned into something as well as my 2 stage carbon/micron i used to use for alge again in fresh.....
Is there a way to set them up with a pump for carbon/gfo?
Can i install a new ro membrane.....is it worth it for water changes/top up?
I hate to dump stuff if i can make it work under the thak attached to the sump with a pump or used plummed into the tank with a flow ect ect....
Any ideas attachments/canister mods to make this stuff usefull with a salt setup would be MUCH appreciated

Old 09-24-2011, 02:00 AM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

The one on the right appears to be the one you should try.
Mostly these are universal in design, id suggest taking it to your LFS or water purifying store, one of these guys can help you.
Id support your LFS before the water store, just to keep them happy with you.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:15 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Best thing is to use one or both to simply make pure water for your system and/or drinking water. I'm not a fan of hooking these directly to a tank/sump for top off since intermittent, short runs are not an optimum way to run an RO filter. Best to run them for larger batches continuously. Whenever I start my system it takes a good 3 to 5 minutes before the RO output TDS gets down to 1 from a 210 TDS tapwater source. If this were to run for a minute or two intermittently 24/7, I would likely never get 1 TDS water into any top off system. Some things are better done manually, like filling a top off container or preparing pure water for mixing salt. Looks like you've got enough parts & pieces there to put together a killer dual membrane system if you wish.

Last edited by mike31154; 09-24-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:59 AM

Hustler is on a distinguished road

I would like to put a new membrane in the RO and get new filters, And try to turn the rest into carbon/GFO reactors like BRS sells if its cost effective.....
Old 10-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Vendor

nrosdal is on a distinguished road

filters are very inexpensive ($15 or less) and a new membrane won't cost more then 50-80 depending on if you want a 50/75/100 gallon per day.

I have a small water business and i know that i can relatively cheaply order empty cartridges which i use for rowaphos all the time.

just buy a sediment filter which come anywhere from 1 micron to 200 micron and put it in the first canister and put the refillable cartridge in the 2nd with whatever media you wish, hook up a maxijet and you are running.

i run between 1 and 3 micron filters in mine as a pre filter in the first cartridge and only have to change monthly (i also run 200 mic flter sock on my system at all times, not sure if that makes a difference on how fast it clogs the ro filter). Then run rowaphos in 2nd and change whenever my phos starts to creep up.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:55 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I would use your 3 stage carbon/clhorine/clhorimine system with a couple good particulat filters befor that to feed into your RO setup.

most people do not use proper filters befor there RO resulting in some chlorine getting through which can harm the RO membrain. and now with most citys using clhorimine it is even more difficulte to filter out befor it hits the membraine.

so I recomend you use it all. use the "twin" set up for some good particulat filteration (say 5micron for the first, and 1 microne absolute for the second) then go into your 3 stage carbon/clhorine/clhorimine, and then into your 3 stage RO.. use a couple carbon blocks for your first two, then through the RO and then a DI for the last stage.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.