Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-08-2007, 07:51 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road
Default Wow, get away from the hobby for a while and things sure change

I've been somewhat out of commission when it comes to reef keeping for the past year.

The Mrs. and I moved from our condo into a house at the beginning of July last year. The move went very very poorly for my reef tank Within a month I had lost all my coral but I was able to keep my fish alive. I have most of of my live rock in a garbage pail circulating for the past year but I fear it is in very rough shape and will take a while to seed back to life as I fear it is very "dead" now.

I want to start up a new tank and use my current cube as a sump for it. My cube is a 37 gal. and I really think I want a simple 55 gal breeder to get going again. those short long tanks always look nice with a reef in them.

Does anyone locally have one that they may consider parting with for a fair price, We are also shutting down our fresh tank - the move on that one went a bit better - (parrots and clown loaches) so I could look at trading livestock for a tank?

Money unfortunatley is tighter than it used to be when I would drop hundreds of $$$ on coral without even thinking.. the reason other than an insane mortgage at Calgary house prices? My wife is Pregnant 30 weeks pregnant this week

Anyhow for those that might remember me, howdy, for those that don't ... Howdy

Albert - Glenda and I miss seeing you up at Golds almost every weekend It used to give us something to do on the weekends... Now we just spend our time shopping for baby clothes

Is Nate still kicking around? Haven't seen him in ages.. allthough I did briefly see him goining into the Palliser Square tower where I work with fish goodies under his arm a couple months back.

Greg

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2

Last edited by digital-audiophile; 03-08-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:39 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Uh .. Ok. Where do I begin?

Howdy, Welcome back, Congratulations, Nate is sorta still around, I hear ya on being broke, that rock you have in a garbage can is probably nicely cooked (ie. you don't realize it but you've been "cooking" it and it's probably in AWESOME shape now , sorry to hear about the move not going well, ah don't go 55g for new reef, too wide and not enough depth ... How big are your clown loaches?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:48 PM

I could go with something bigger for the tank, Plenty of room in the basement now, thats the main reason I went with the cube in the condo is it fit nicely into a corner of our bedroom. I could eaily see myself with a 90+ Gallon tank, I guess I'm just trying to find something I can get for a decent price ($100-200). The clown loaches are still pretty small considering they are about a year and a half old, maybe 6" at the biggest, I'm sure their growth has been stunted due to the fact they are in a 40 gallon tank with 6 parrots that have stayed relativley small themselves. I'm not sure how many loaches are still left in the FW tank, that was always the Mrs' tank and I never paid too much attention to it myself.

Good to hear the rock may be in great shape, I have not had any light on it so that is why I have feared the worst, I have not pulled it out of the pail in almost a year since the move allthough I have been topping off the water and changing small portions when I can.

I actually feel really bad that I have not done much more with my tank sooner. I think when you move you just get so tied up in fxing up the house the way you want it (we went though about 6 months of renos) and with the baby on the way that has been priority #1.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2

Last edited by digital-audiophile; 03-08-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:23 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital-audiophile View Post
(we went though about 6 months of renos)
Damn dude.. If you bought an older house like me 6 months is nothing.. Im going on 6 years.

Welcome back to the hobby btw!!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:53 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Does the bin your rock in have any heat/water movement ? If so, as Tony mentioned, your rock is probably in tip top shape (no algae, etc, etc.. )
Old 03-08-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
Damn dude.. If you bought an older house like me 6 months is nothing.. Im going on 6 years.

Welcome back to the hobby btw!!
Only 9 years old but it was very dated to the 90's nothing was done to upgrade by either previous owners, still a bunch more we want to do but the money runs out quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDP View Post
Does the bin your rock in have any heat/water movement ? If so, as Tony mentioned, your rock is probably in tip top shape (no algae, etc, etc.. )
I have a heater and a seio in there for movement, looks like I am going to be a happy boy when I go to use it

Now to find a bigger tank at an inexpensive price or trades I'm getting excited now.

Last edited by digital-audiophile; 03-09-2007 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:26 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Hey Greg! I was wondering what happened to you guys. Glad to see ya around man!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:10 AM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

some people put tanks in the bargain finder not knowing what they're really worth. Saw a 300g for $200 once, even

If you're patient, I'm sure you could find something for a great price within 3-4 weeks.