Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-03-2006, 05:51 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road
Default Humidity Control?

How does everyone with 100+ gallon tanks control the humidity in their houses?

I know there are many options, and I need to choose one.

1. De-humidifier - expensive
2. De-humidifying bags - do they work well? I dont mind hanging bags in my fish room.
3. Fan - would need to create a vent to the outside, or hook into dryer hose which is FAR away
4. Other options?

Old 02-03-2006, 06:02 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

4. Other options - HRV

I had way too much humidity in my house until I installed an HRV to remove the excess. I typically had over 60% humidity last year, now it is less than 40%. The HRV is more costly to install, but it is much more energy efficient than de-humidifiers or simple exhaust fans. Basically an HRV is an exhaust fan, but it uses a heat exchanger core to warm the incomming air with the heat from the exhaust air thus preventing a lot of wasted heat energy.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:43 PM

My humidity is about 70% right now, and I am adding more tanks so I need to do something fast. I will check out the HRV, where did you get it from?

Old 02-03-2006, 07:17 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I run a dehumidifier but it's not enough -- on a cold night my windows will get serious condensation. I evaporate a solid 5g per day amongst all my current tanks so it's a serious issue for me.

I'm now having an HRV put in (just signed the papers this morning in fact). Myself (and a couple others from Calgary) had the work done by Air Pro Heating. I don't know if there's one in Edmonton but I must say I highly highly recommend these guys. Did a fabulous analysis and engineering approach to the amount of turnover required balanced against volume of evaporation, volume of my (eventual) tank room, volume of turnover for the rest of the house, etc.

Actually if you read the specs on HRV's -- I think I would consider getting one even if I didn't have fish tanks.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:21 PM

How/where are you venting to the outside of the house? My fish room is in the basement, I was thinking of renting a giant drill and going through the cement foundation at about the level of the basement windows.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:29 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wouldn't it be easier to cut through the wood and siding just above the concrete? I think if I was doing it that's what I'd do.. I think the current vents in my house are all above the concrete. There's about a foot or two below the ceiling before the concrete foundation. I guess if your basement is really deep that wouldn't be an option but I'm thinking there is likely some wiggle room there.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:42 PM

I didn't know there might be some space there, my basement has a finished roof, but I have some access panels, I will poke my head in there tonight and see what I can see.

I would need a reciprocating saw to do that job, one of the few saws I dont own yet, but could probably buy one for the same price as renting the drill I thought I would need.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:29 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

I bought my HRV, A Venmar Hepa 3000, from Home Depot along with the installation kit which contains the ducting and vent hood among other parts. It cost about $1000, plus I had to move a few other things in my furnace roiom to clear space for the unit. I did the installation myself, tying it into the existing HVAC ducting rather than installing all new stand alone vent ducts for it. That was not feasable to do given that the house is a two story with a fully finished basement (well almost). I put the vent hood out through the rim joist as Tony suggested. The venmar unit has a combined hood for both exhaust and intake, some units just use two seperate vents which will require you to cut two openings. The entire job took me less than a day to do, but I am fairly proficient at DIY stuff.

If you do decide that you'd rather take the vent out through the concrete wall, you can get a contractor to core the hole for you. I did that for my basement fireplace. It cost me $100 and took the guy less than an hour to do. Just look in the yellow pages under "concrete cutting and coring".

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:35 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

No water in my new tank, but I installed a bathroom fan in the fishroom in the basement. Just went to HD and picked up a dryer vent hood and punched a hole through the rim joist with a 4" hole saw.

If I can do most of my cooling (evap) with the sump, keep the humidity in the FR, the fan plus a de-humidifier I had already have, I'm hoping...

Rona also carries some low cost HVR units, looks like could be a weekend DIY.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:35 PM

Wow $1000 and that is doing the labor yourself, pretty $$$ for me right now.

I think I am going to try and install a bathroom fan, and if need be then add some de-humidifying bags in my fish room and furnace room.