Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-22-2006, 04:57 PM

seashells is on a distinguished road
Default Tang Heaven

How is everyone making out growing this? We are having mixed results. We split the 2 lbs (Its Alot) between the hang on fuge, the 27 gal with some in a hatching basket & a 5 gal bucket with water from the last change and a bubbler. 27 gal & basket doing ok, fuge turned green & sunk ( may have been to full ) the bucket is still looking ok. Tangs love the stuff!
Old 08-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

My tangs also love it. Some have "melted" (the stuff in my 20g above tank fuge) but the rest seems to be doing well with only a few faded patches. I doing an expt. & trying to dry some for use later.

Anthony
Old 08-22-2006, 06:45 PM

Chad is on a distinguished road

so far my fish don't touch it. I have it in my prop tank right now.. with almost zero flow and only 55w PC. It seems to be living.. not thriving tho.. I will be moving it this weekend, hopefully into a better tank.

I may end of giving it away if my fish don't start going for it.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:05 AM

Had some go to mush too. But not all & in the same area some is nice dark red, looks promising. Tangs love it though, so will keep at this!!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:15 AM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road

In my seemingly endless quest to find a suitable fuge bulb for my chaeto (and now newly added tang heaven), I think I may have finally found it.

The last bulb I was using was the local fave Philips Daylight CF bulb. My chaeto slowly turned to mush.

I recently got a new clump from a friend, and I tried out a new bulb too: Sylvania 65W Spot Grow.

Instantly, the chaeto has doubled in a couple of weeks! And the Tang Heaven seems to be hanging on as well (only the very bottom parts arent doing as well). I think the key is to manually turn the algae at least once a day so that when the fuge light comes on, the lower portions will get more light.

2016/2017 180Gallon Build Coming Soon...
Old 08-23-2006, 08:37 AM

skylord is on a distinguished road

It turned to mush in my hang on ref under a 28 watt cf with the light on 12 hrs a day. In my sump with a 9 watt on 24/7 it is doing very well. In my 33 some is doing just OK at the bottom of the tank and what I put in a hang on basket turned to mush. I think the more intense the light and the closer to the light the algae is, the faster it turns to mush. Anyway, low light 24/7 is doing best for me.
Hippo and rabbit both really like the stuff but aren't getting as much as they would like till I see if or how much I can get to grow.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:31 AM

The stuff in the fuge that went "mushy" seems to have some healthy regrowth mixed in. The mysis & pods are quite happy swimming in the mush, & I see no other ill affects. Gona leave it & see what happens........