Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-14-2006, 07:28 PM

Noj is on a distinguished road
Red face Crazy Suicidal Clowns

I didn't know who else to tell, so you guys get my story. I doubt my roommates would find any amusement in it.

Earlier today I was glueing some frags to chunks of live rock, everything was going smoothe. My two percula's find enjoyment in nipping at me everytime my hand touches water. No big deal, just took a while to get used to. So I mounted my 4 frags and put the frogspawn back into place in front of the clowns "cave". They didn't quite enjoy this and their attacks on me began to get more aggressive as I tried to position the piece. After I finished, the female was still circling around the top of the water. I put the glass covers back over the tank and when I was putting on the front half, she jumped at me, SMOKED her head on the glass, knocking it off the runners and sent the glass cover for a swim into the tank. I thought it was amusing, except I had to go into the tank AGAIN to get the glass. I did, I got bit. Right between my thumb and fore finger. Flesh wound, no blood, but took some skin. So I rinse off the glass, and put it back up. I left the glass about 3 inches from the front edge of the tank, to keep the condensation down. Now, I'm wiping up the excess water on the edge of the tank with a rag and just as my hand crosses the middle section the glass "Tina" (the female clown, obviously) comes FLYING out of the tank, completely misses my hand, shoots up in the air about 10 inches and starts her free fall to a cold, hardwood floor. I almost hit panic mode. In my flailing attempt at saving her, I drop the rag (half in the water, half out) and with my hockey background I jump infront of her, she hits my chest square on, and then I grab the bottom of my shirt and she slides into the pouch i've created and layed lifeless. As fast as this is happening, I became "instant dumb". I launched her out of my shirt (like when you're younger and you have the parachute with the ball in the middle and launch it into the air) shes now flying through the air again, with less velocity of course this time, but makes a perfect landing missing all glass pieces and drops gracefully back into the tank.

I catch my breath, assess the situation, realize my "creative stupidity". Then, the only thing left to do was laugh, sweat and dry myself.

Now my question for everyone. Does my clown hate me enough to go on suicide missions? And if so, should I make her a little dunce cap to wear whenever shes bad?

Sorry for the long, drawn out story. I'm sure many of you have similar stories, but I just had to tell someone, anyone!

-Cam

PS- If you were wondering, shes doing just fine. But still seems a bit PO'd at me.

Thanks

Last edited by Noj; 03-14-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:42 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

ahahaha, that's a pretty funny story.

Clowns are very funny and weird like that... makes you wonder.

As for the nipping.. you've got yourself one heck of a territorial clownfish.. it's usually always the female. Does she have an anemone in the tank? Does she bite only when your hands go by there? Or does it not matter where your hands are? My old female captive bred ocellaris was like this as well.

As for the suicide missions.. that's hilarious. I don't know what the clown is trying to do exactly, but it would be pretty damn funny if it was trying to launch itself out of the tank at you or something.... I don't know why it would be jumping out??? Nothing stressing it, or spooking it? That will often do it.

Anyways, thanks for the read.. I had a good laugh haha.. gotta love them Clownfish.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDP
Does she have an anemone in the tank? Does she bite only when your hands go by there? Or does it not matter where your hands are? My old female captive bred ocellaris was like this as well.

I don't know why it would be jumping out??? Nothing stressing it, or spooking it? That will often do it.

She only has a frogspawn frag in there, that is set up in front of their corner of the tank. No matter what my liverock structure has been over the past year or so, they always take the same corner. And they nip at my hands whenever my hands get within an inch or two of the water. Doesnt matter if I am on the other side of the tank or anything. The female is far more aggressive, but the male takes his share of nibbles.

The only thing that would be stressing the out would be me attaching the frags, and they are the only fish in the tank so theres little that could spook them.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:35 PM

Interesting. You've got some pretty territorial clowns then, kind of odd for perc's too IMO .. haha. That sucks though, getting nipped every time you need to put your hand in the tank.

It sounds like your clowns are hosting a cave in your tank... they'll host pretty much anything.

Just out of curiosity.. do you know if these clowns are tank bred? Or wild caught?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:37 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
they are the only fish in the tank
They are lonely! The bites mean BRING ME FRIENDS!

Old 03-14-2006, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDP
Just out of curiosity.. do you know if these clowns are tank bred? Or wild caught?
I bought the pair off a lady on this board last year when she was taking her tank down, she told me they were captive bred and she got them from JL. I'm not 100% certain, but I took her word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReefGeek
They are lonely! The bites mean BRING ME FRIENDS!
haha I'm looking, I'm looking. I feel like I have a certain loyalty to my clowns now, I can't just add another fish in their without consulting with them. And they can't talk, so I'm stuck with just the two of them right now.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:50 PM

Weird... because I also had captive bred clowns, and they were also very territorial (more so the female) .. and so are yours.

I wonder if there's any kind of study or something to see if captive bred clowns are more territorial than wild caught?? It seems that way....

*PS: I think your clowns might like a firefish or a goby of some sort... they're always cool fish to add (IMO)
Old 03-14-2006, 07:44 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

Wow, that's a wee bit crazy for a fish. My maroon gets ****y when I have my hand in the tank near his anemone, but not to the point at which he jumps at me.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:56 PM

Whose to say that the clownfish is actually trying to jump out at him? There's no way of knowing... but chances are it's pretty doubtful.

Nonetheless... it's still funny.

Good thing you have a glass cover , that's all I have to say.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:31 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

Funny story, thanks for sharing. Glad the clown made it!