Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-20-2001, 10:43 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default Water motion in tank.

I was trying to sleep last night and a thought came to me.. (what a time to get a thought [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) anyways.. what I was wondering is instead of the chaotic water motion we are trying to get.. would it maby be better to simulate the tide instead of the waves? I mean have the curent go one direction in the tank for about 5 hours then almost stop for 1 hour then switch directions for 5 hours.. and so on.. would simulate the 6 hour cycle of the tide during the one hour you could have some sort of real soft curent going (haven't totaly figured that out yet) but I was wondering if anyone else has thought about this and tried it.

Steve
Old 11-20-2001, 10:47 PM

Reefmaster is on a distinguished road

hey steve
there is very little tidal action in the tropics. most of the current / water movement is due to surge action from the waves, and when diving it is really wierd cuz ya move one way for about 10-15s at a pretty good clip, then slow, stop, and right back where ya came from. the ideal wavewaker imo is some sort of surge device. if only i had more time....
Old 11-20-2001, 10:56 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Check Robert's return set up:
Waterflow , it isn't exactly what you are talking about but could be given a longer cycle.

Here is another product that gives a more natural wave approach:
Wave2k .

If you could trust timers you could run two different return pumps, each plumbed to a different end of the tank.

[ 20 November 2001: Message edited by: Troy F ]
Old 11-20-2001, 11:51 PM

Hey Troy thanks, I like Robert's return set up, and it wouldent be to hard to gear it down so it was at 1/2 rpm or even 1/4 rpm, definatly something for me to look at ..

Steve

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]
Old 11-21-2001, 12:08 AM

Silverfish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Silverfish

Hey Steve, I have been thinking about the tidal movement thing too. Check out ozreef.org and scroll down to Water Circulation System. Seems like it could work, if you don't mind having a tall hood! I think that the tidal movement, together with random turbulence (wavemaker w/ powerheads?) would be ok. What I would really like to build is a surge device like Eric Borneman has in his book, Aquarium Corals. I have bought the toilet flush valve already, just have to put it together! ($8 @ HD) [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img] I do like the idea of getting rid of the powerheads in my tank tho.
Later, Bruce
Old 11-21-2001, 07:18 AM

hey Bruce .. I have been thinking of how to make the water ove for a while.. I have decided I don't want splashing around on the top but I just want a gentle change in directions (this way I don't have to worry about splashing water out of the tank [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] )
this rotating valve has my intrest as I could make the valve body out of pcv, and I am sure we have a piece of teflon I could chuck up in a layth and make the valve body.
which brings up anothr thing.. is teflon ok in a tank?

Steve
Old 11-21-2001, 08:50 AM

Acro is on a distinguished road

hey bruce ya should have told be got a toilet thingy here would have giving it to ya I have done everything from the carlson surge to wave timers now seaswirls and something that no doubt is very important is water flow the surge bucket I had was very good but loud and lots a bubbles but I loved it and did the corals so the flange thing is supposed to be better I just got tired of playing with it and ended up in the rubbermaid with all the other projects.I would also like something that would kick the s$%# out of everything but only say half a dosen times though out the day hey the surge bucket I had before was a 13 gallon garbage bucket on the top of my tank taryn just loved it I got a picture of it I'll scan it in later
jamie
Old 11-21-2001, 09:32 AM

Acro is on a distinguished road

couple of the thinks to remember about surge devices are can your over flow handle the extra volume and can you sump flucate that much

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: Jamie Cross ]
Old 11-21-2001, 10:33 AM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Teflon is safe for reef use.

- Victor.
Old 11-21-2001, 06:06 PM

Well I got a e-mail back from Robert C. Michelson, and as I assumed he built the guts out of Delrin rod and used a interferance fit (with teflon) to seal the end gland. this will not be that hard to build but as I am unfamilier with Dlrin rod I will have to check up on it and see what the differences between it and something like teflon or nylon is.. the later two I have access to in abundence.. the only other think I need to find out is whare I can find a "synchronous 60 Hz AC clock motor" any Ideas?

Steve