Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-28-2015, 06:32 AM

dcw1sfu is on a distinguished road
Default Skimmer Overflowing

So ive taken my biopellets off line in place of vodka/vinegar dosing. I also added about a quarter stick of epoxy to the system around the same time as starting the vodka/vinegar and taking the pellets offline. This was 4 days ago and my protein skimmer has been overflowing ever since even when having it at its lowest setting. Its an Vertex Omega 150. I have since done two water changed, a 10 gallon and 15 gallon on my 60 gallon system and also vinegar bathed/cleaned the skimmer really good. Any ideas? I currently have the tube from the cup directed into my filter sock so that i can have it running still while it overflows like crazy.

Other then that system looks really good and all parameters are normal. However i figure running a overflowing skimmer into a filter sock it really not that efficient. Any ideas??
Old 01-28-2015, 06:55 AM

NM seems like there is a post a couple down that is going through the exact same things. So probably has to do with the vinegar/vodka dosing and system stabilizing ill give it a few more days.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:59 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Epoxy can definitely do it as well. It makes my skimmer go nuts for a day or so. Depending on how much epoxy unused :-). I ended up raising my skimmer a bit more to give me room to turn down the skimmer when it gets into this overflow state.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:28 PM

I received advise to perform a water change by letting the skimmer overflow into a bucket and replace with new mix. I did this allowing the skimmer to drain about 8 gallons and during the course it settled down and is running great again.

I guess letting it overflow into the tank wasn't really removing what was causing the issue.