Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-03-2015, 04:37 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation
Default Sandbed cleaning concerns.

Every water change I use my large gravel siphon to clean a portion of my sandbed.
I now have a large population of healthy worms, {not bristle} in the bed. Good population of nassarius snails both the smaller ones and several larger Tonga. Plus a healthy algae eating conch. And to boot my nassarius keep breeding but can't tell if I have babies yet or not.
Have a bunch of both blue leg and red leg craps that sort through the sand all day. That is if they are not having one of their union meetings or climbing on my sps.

I know the sand is dirty, as it always fills the bucket with a ton of crap when I clean. I wonder at what stage its good to not over clean or keep up what Im doing.
Should have stayed bare...
Old 01-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I only occasionally stir my sand and let the flow carry it to the sock. I might change out a portion of it after a while, but dirty sand doesn't concern me much in the short term (year or so). My 180 was a beautiful setup, but when I tore it down, the sand was disgusting. This tells me that it can manage itself, acting like a sink for some period of time. I do think replacing every now and then is good, just not sure the time between now and then..
Old 01-03-2015, 04:44 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

I would keep the sand as clean as you can, Doug.
Those crabs will make a meal of whatever they can get their claws on, so whatever is left behind will be detritus.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:56 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I used to have an orange spot sleeper goby that did a great job of keeping my sand clean. But was not so good for bottom corals as he dumped sand all over them.

Recently I acquired this guy, tigertail cucumber, so will see how he does.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
I would keep the sand as clean as you can, Doug.
And therein lies the problem with forums. 1 question, 2 answers from people with successful tanks, and 2 very different answers. Result, Doug still has no idea what to do.

Honestly, there is more than one way to skin a cat, or to sand a tank. There are successful tanks with filthy sand, clean sand and no sand. So pick what you're happy doing as a regular chore, and see how that works for you. Easy peasy!!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:16 PM

I think we both have the same answer, basically.
How big of a sand bed, how fast detritus builds up, ect. - will eventually lead to the same answer - reduce the detritus buildup. How fast and how often is up to the operator.😊

Old 01-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Just a guy..

I don't even think there is a right answer. Other than whatever works for you. I'm lazy and try to do as little as possible, so my method works for me. I see tanks with sparkling white sand and wish I wasn't so lazy. But I am

I can see no harm coming from cleaning sand, so if that's your thing, clean away. But it does sound like work lol
Old 01-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

I love all the opinions. Thats what I wanted. Been around long enough to sort them out but never been a good sand guy. Thanks all.

My orange spotted sleeper was great, never releasing in the current but staying on the bed. Alas he jumped before my top. I have a yellow head/blue stripped sleeper now and he is an arse. Dumping everywhere. Have trouble keeping my chalice clean.

I started to siphon clean it just to see. The bucket of water was so gross, that I have kept it up, until now. I can reach 3/4 of my bed.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Just a guy..

I know that water can look bad. I even bought a siphon and hose long enough to run it through my filter sock. I just haven't got there yet. Likely won't. Did I mention I'm lazy?
Old 01-03-2015, 05:34 PM

Yeah Brad, but your methods work - water changes, MH and good water flow.
I get bored so I fiddle, always looking for something else.
Usually leads to trouble.