Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-08-2014, 06:11 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default To the point of frustration :(

Well I have been looking for a job since July and until now, I have had absolutely no luck! I did get an interview and did get a job but that was for a door-to-door sales person position (the company was hiding its name and the responsibilities until the interview and has an F at BBB) but I did reject the offer because of the reputation of the company. I have put in about 30 applications with target cover letters and resume (I don't randomly apply to every possible openings) but I don't know what is wrong with my qualification. I have a master in electrical engineering, my thesis was on energy policy, I was teaching assistant throughout my time at the university, have above average gpa, have 1 years of project engineering experience and about 7 months of research assistant experience and yet nothing

Just thought of sharing it with you all. I am at the point of getting frustrated and kinda feel like my university degree is just an over-priced piece of paper. Any suggestions/opinions are more than welcome.

P.S. If you know someone who may be of help for networking in energy industry/electricity utility industry, please do let me know. I will be very grateful.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 10-08-2014, 06:23 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

In my opinion by way of your education you have eliminated a very large percentage of possible jobs for yourself. Company's are wary of hiring a person who is way over educated for available positions fearing the new hire will bolt asap when an appropriate position comes available for them.. The exception being the lower end as in the door to door you mentioned.

I think your search needs to be less localized and more national, even international. Make yourself known to head hunters... Time to relocate.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:45 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

what type of job are you looking for Raied
Old 10-08-2014, 06:49 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
In my opinion by way of your education you have eliminated a very large percentage of possible jobs for yourself. Company's are wary of hiring a person who is way over educated for available positions fearing the new hire will bolt asap when an appropriate position comes available for them.. The exception being the lower end as in the door to door you mentioned.

I think your search needs to be less localized and more national, even international. Make yourself known to head hunters... Time to relocate.
You are probably right; I have been told the same thing before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
what type of job are you looking for Raied
I am looking for anything related to Engineers-in-training, project assistant, environment analyst, data analyst, junior field engineering job and such. My degree is multi-disciplinary and that helps to broaden my job search but hasn't helped much yet.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 10-08-2014, 06:59 PM
No Cookies

You might have to broaden your search to other cities and provinces BC is booming right now from Williams lake North not sure if your interested in relocating but it is an option. Alberta is slowly grinding to a halt for a lot of reasons while northern BC is picking up the pace.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:55 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy
Default Broaden Your Search

Try the different power companies: BC Hydro, Ontario Hydro, Quebec Hydro, etc. Energy policy is big, but getting a job isn't easy. Don't apply for jobs you are overqualified for. This is a fairly narrow field, it takes time to get a job, but they exist.

What about NGOs, various think-tanks? You may want to volunteer somewhere to get contacts too. You'll find something, but be open minded.

Last edited by straightrazorguy; 10-08-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:22 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I know that feeling. I left a job in March and have struggled to find something permanent and long term. Ive done a lot of little contracts this year and its tiring. Im ready to go back to work full time but Im hitting the same wall. Im overqualified or over educated.

Oil & Gas has been consolidating lately and not for the purposes of expansion. Its like people are hunkering down, again. It does seem though that lately, in the last couple of weeks, things have started moving again; positions posted, hiring freezes lifted, etc.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:42 PM

JmeJReefer is on a distinguished road

Oil and gas companies are bracing for an economic disaster in the near future. As are many sectors of the economy. Something's brewing and the public is being left in the dark....
You could try for some Union work?
I gave up university because of the very reason stated. An overpriced piece of paper that can't guarantee employment. Too many friends with masters and degrees in various fields doing work they didn't train for...!
I feel education in this day and age is nothing more than a cash grab and social conditioning....
Good luck on the hunt!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2014, 10:06 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Pretty much every engineering company in this city is hiring, especially EPCM companies. The problem is nobody wants EITs, they need experience as there's already a huge lack of that in the industry at this time. All the good senior engineers have retired and we're left with this gap between generations and these new "seniors" have zero desire to mentor anyone. It's really a huge problem that's going to have huge consequences. The odd time a new EIT is hired it's usually a referral so basically it's who you know. Also believe it or not a masters degree or PhD tends to send mixed signals in this industry which will ultimately get your resume put in the wrong pile. I'm not sure what your thesis was on but the "energy policy" also may come off in a negative way in terms of oil and gas companies, again especially in the EPCM world. Keep in mind people only read the headlines on resumes and red flags are easily lifted.

My best advice is revise your resume, professionally. I know a guy that almost guarantees results. I'll PM you his info, it's money well spent.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:05 AM
No Cookies

The pulp and paper sector my industry is always hiring because we keep losing people to the sands