Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-26-2014, 04:46 AM

Peter Peng is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter Peng
Default Will a rbta survive in my tank?

Hi, Im picking up a RBTA from a local reefer this saturday, and I might as well ask for some advice. My tank has been up for around 2-3 months. Its a biocube14 with 10lb livesand and around 25lbs liverock (yea thats alot). My fuge runs biochemielite, a sponge and another 3lbs of liverock rubble. I have tested my water quite often and my readings are always ammonia: 0 ppm, nitrite: 0ppm and nitrate anywhere from 1-6ppm. I have a green star polyp and its doing great and I had a bubble coral for a month and it did fine. The lighting is 10,000k PC and actinic PC bulbs and a blue LED for night. Im pretty confident with my water parameters and Im going to go ahead and add it. If you guys spot anything wrong or think I shoulden't do it, please let me know

ps. I use red sea test kit and I dont use rodi water, I treat my water with Prime

Thanks for the advice guys
Old 09-26-2014, 05:15 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

They move around till there happy, so be prepared for that. I'd say go ahead. Mine has moved 6 or 7 times and has now split into 2.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:30 AM

Peter Peng is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter Peng

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
They move around till there happy, so be prepared for that. I'd say go ahead. Mine has moved 6 or 7 times and has now split into 2.
Thanks for the advice. My biggest concern is that it will move into an area of the rock where I cant even see it. Happened with my last tank and my attempt (stupid I know ;P) to rip it off and gluing it to a piece of rock which killed it. Fingers crossed that it will find itself a place not too close with other corals and where its observable!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:19 AM

mohammadali is on a distinguished road

if the light isnt bright enough it might bleach and be careful dont let it go into ur power head if u have one
Old 09-26-2014, 01:19 PM

monza is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Peng View Post
Thanks for the advice. My biggest concern is that it will move into an area of the rock where I cant even see it. Happened with my last tank and my attempt (stupid I know ;P) to rip it off and gluing it to a piece of rock which killed it. Fingers crossed that it will find itself a place not too close with other corals and where its observable!
Are you serious? L
Old 09-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

You have too much rock and too little knowledge to be adding an anemone to a 14g tank. Your previous experience shows this.

I can almost guarantee it won't sit where you want, it will not care about other corals, it will, if it survives, get too big for that tank, and that's probably not something to worry about, as I'd be surprised if it survives.
you don't have enough light or room for it to be happy, it will keep moving around, and it will end up in a pump.

Summary = bad idea.

also, in my years of this hobby, I've never found crossing fingers to be a reliable reef keeping method.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:30 PM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
You have too much rock and too little knowledge to be adding an anemone to a 14g tank. Your previous experience shows this.

I can almost guarantee it won't sit where you want, it will not care about other corals, it will, if it survives, get too big for that tank, and that's probably not something to worry about, as I'd be surprised if it survives.
you don't have enough light or room for it to be happy, it will keep moving around, and it will end up in a pump.

Summary = bad idea.

also, in my years of this hobby, I've never found crossing fingers to be a reliable reef keeping method.
One plus not a good idea
Old 09-26-2014, 04:05 PM

tlhood is on a distinguished road

+1

btas grow big, and fast. I had one the size of a baseball and within a couple months it was 7 inches across. I split the thing and it is still huge. It is barely small enough for my 30g - 14g is too small.

Also, as per the story about ripping it off and gluing it (which literally made my skin crawl), please please please make sure you do research about a certain piece of livestock before you buy it, not after. The last thing you want is 1) to waste your $$ because everything keeps dying 2) killing a bunch of animals because of owner carelessness.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:47 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I would say the same thing everyone is telling you as well. I bought an RBTA quite small and until recently, it was over a foot wide expanded, its tentacles made the thing close to 2 feet. When it was in my smaller 55 gl tank I was asking how to get it to split as it was too big for that tank. It has finally split into 3 nems, I have one littler one, but the other two simply split in half, sit in the same spot and still expand to a foot wide plus tentacles. I also have a smaller RBTA that when I bought it was maybe 3-4". It is now 6" but its tentacles are shorter. This one also split, but I sold it. I've been lucky as none of these have moved in my tank.

I also think your tank is too young for a nem regardless of your parameters. I'd wait until at least 9-12 months before adding.

Finally, throw a picture of your tank up here. We like pictures!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:46 PM

darb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Peng View Post
Happened with my last tank and my attempt (stupid I know ;P) to rip it off and gluing it to a piece of rock which killed it
Please say that isn't true.