Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 09-27-2014, 02:35 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road
Default Apartment rules/laws

So I bought a pump from a nice woman from Canreef today ,and she is selling everything because she is being told that she is no longer allowed to keep a tank in her apartment. She has lived in the apartment for a couple years if I remember correctly. When she moved in she payed a damage deposit , and was told by the manager that she was allowed to have a fish tank. The rules also say that she IS allowed to have pets. Recently a new manager has taken over and told her that she is not allowed to keep a tank in her apartment anymore. The tank she had running was only a 40 gallon.

Is anyone out there familiar with the law when it comes to situations like this ?
It doesn't seem right that a manager of an apartment building can make decisions like this. This woman is very passionate about the hobby and I feel bad for her that she has been forced to shut down her tank.

Any thoughts ?
Old 09-27-2014, 03:11 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down That sucks!

Does this lady have the permission to have an aquarium in writing from the first manager, also I would be calling the owner's of the building and see what they have to say. When I was about to move into the mobile park I live in I inquired to park manager at the time and he said I could not have our small dog. I made the application anyway and sent it to the park owners, guess what it was all approved. Turns out that manager had his own agenda. He's long gone along with his agenda. It may be worth her time to check.
Her new manager may not be able to force the issue if she was allowed in the past.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:02 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure Laurie , I should ask her if she had anything in writing from the first manager.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:12 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default tank

she might need to get extra insurance to appease the owner of the building.i would contact the owner through the property management company and state that for years she was allowed to keep fish and that other people are allowed to keep pets.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:51 AM

neoh is on a distinguished road

my landlord doesn't know about the 280+ gallons worth of tanks I have in the house. I mentioned I had a tank, but I never mentioned how big it was.

Lets hope he never finds out. haha.

I'm also not allowed to get home owners insurance because my girlfriend and I aren't married.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:55 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoh View Post
I'm also not allowed to get home owners insurance because my girlfriend and I aren't married.
Huh? My 'wife' and I aren't legally married, but we have home owners insurance.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:56 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoh View Post
Excuse me ???
Could you explain this ?
Makes no sense to me
Old 09-27-2014, 06:23 AM

neoh is on a distinguished road

I guess I should of also mentioned, there are three of us that live here. I've went to four different insurance companies for home owners insurance, and none of them will sign off on it due to increased liability. One offered us basic insurance for fire and flood (no theft), at $80 a month. Ha.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:55 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

When I rented I had renters insurance which is the very basic thing that anybody who rents should have every insurance provider has that it IMO should be made mandatory to get if you rent.

My landlord had a no pet clause but made an exception when I had no issues to my landlord requesting the BCSPCA doing random checks on my cats and when I had gotten my tanks my landlord had me sign a contract that if the tank burst it was my cost to clean up which again I had no issues with

Bottom line if you rent it is extremely important to have signed documentation from either your landlord or manager otherwise you could end up holding a very large bill and no recourse verbal or gentleman's agreements are not a good way to do business
Old 09-27-2014, 07:25 AM

ReEf BoSs is on a distinguished road

I could be wrong but I swear our strata rule for fish is "a reasonable number of fish". My friend said it was in the strata book as that. I'm sure there's probably a gallon limited you would think. Really wouldn't take much to flood thru a wood building even 30 gallons could leak thru and restoration companies would have to come cut open ceilings etc to dry the place properly. That's what there scared of most likely.