Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-12-2014, 09:48 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road
Default New growth causing lack of color?

During the past 1-2 months my green hulk colony started to have a major growth spurt. I just recently notice the main beaches losing all it's color and is a lot thinner than the new growth. Is this because it's growing so fast and blocking all the lights from the branches below? How do I counter this? Take out clippers n cut off all the new growth or just let the thing be?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:51 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

The new growth will always be white until it colours up, i wouldn't go cutting the new growth as it grows it will all colour back up
Old 08-12-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
The new growth will always be white until it colours up, i wouldn't go cutting the new growth as it grows it will all colour back up
No the new growth colours are amazing. Was talking about the main branches under it having no color.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:03 AM

Steve... is on a distinguished road

Maybe the new growth is blocking some of the light of the bottom
Old 08-13-2014, 03:46 AM

i guess i can trim some of the top branches off... a lot of my other sps are losing color is it because my Cheap LEDS are losing its effectiveness after a year or so? or because i have phosphate? i hate how it takes months for a tank to finally look good and days for it to go to shiit
Old 08-13-2014, 03:52 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I've found with my higher-up SPS that too much light causes them to grow spindly/colorless
Maybe just back-off your lighting a tiny bit and see what happens

I bleached all mine 'cause my lights were too much for them with my light bio-load; not enough food in the water column

Just go slow
Nothing good happens fast

Don't make major changes, and keep a record of what you do so you can track what is going on
Old 08-13-2014, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I've found with my higher-up SPS that too much light causes them to grow spindly/colorless
Maybe just back-off your lighting a tiny bit and see what happens

I bleached all mine 'cause my lights were too much for them with my light bio-load; not enough food in the water column

Just go slow
Nothing good happens fast

Don't make major changes, and keep a record of what you do so you can track what is going on
i noticed color lost when i moved my lights 4" higher and increased blues from 75% to 100% and whites from 50% to 75%.. i lowered it back to original height but kept the intensity at 100 and 75.. nothing is bleached just lost color and plain/brown
Old 08-13-2014, 04:32 AM

Phosphates also will hinder the sps coral color too some areore sonsitube Han others
Old 08-13-2014, 04:46 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason604 View Post
i noticed color lost when i moved my lights 4" higher and increased blues from 75% to 100% and whites from 50% to 75%.. i lowered it back to original height but kept the intensity at 100 and 75.. nothing is bleached just lost color and plain/brown
I'd only guess that the light intensity has had an effect and you should stop making changes now
Watch your corals and if they continue to lose color, put your lights back where they were to start with, and then make changes slowly from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
Phosphates also will hinder the sps coral color too some areore sonsitube Han others
Umm, what ??? "areore sonsitube Han others"
Old 08-13-2014, 12:57 PM

Wow lol " some are more sensitive than others" I know I never really seen my sps grow and color up good untill my p04 dropped down