Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 05-20-2014, 01:01 PM

Baker is on a distinguished road
Default Ready to give up on fish

I am ready to give up on buying new fish. It seems I cant keep a new fish for longer than a couple of days. I had a kole tang for 6 months then added a naso and a week later found the kole tang on the floor. Then the naso kicked the bucket, then a month later my regal bit it. I bought a longhorn cowfish, that lasted about 5 days. Then more recently I bought a rainsford goby, saw him a couple of times then gone. I picked up a sand sifting goby up off another reefer and less than a week later seen a set of bones in the tank. I just got my frag tank up and running and was at an lfs and saw this bi color blenny and thought what a cool looking fish. So I picked him up. 2 days later, i couldnt find it so started a search and eventually found him in the sump still alive but didnt look good at all. I put him back in the tank and didnt expect him to live very long. Well this morning I woke up to find the last of him being finished off by my cleaner shrimp. When I started keeping sps coral I thought that keeping fish was a breeze but now sps is a breeze and I cant keep a new fish alive to save my own. :-(
Old 05-20-2014, 02:04 PM

H2o2 is on a distinguished road

Check for stray voltage
Old 05-20-2014, 02:08 PM

I dont think thats the problem as these fish were all in different tanks at different times. Just bad luck im figuring.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:59 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

Don't give up on fish; a lot of us are able to keep fish alive for a long time. I would try to figure out the cause why fish are dying and eliminate it instead.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:47 PM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

I had two crashes in a fowlr and best thing I ever did was start up a reef because I quit big fish
Old 05-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

There is definitely something going on. You need to get to the bottom of it asap. Have you checked your tank at night for massive Eunicid worms that might be picking the fish off? Get a grounding probe for stray voltage. Start a quarrantine procedure for every fish going into the tank. Try feeding them something different. Etc.

There are a tonne of things to do before giving up. I understand giving up after all options have been exhausted. But until then, put your thinking cap on and figure it out.

I would do a quarrantine system for sure. Start it up, see if there is any random deaths. If not, your display has an issue.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 05-21-2014, 03:43 AM

Thanks for everyones help. Like I said before, i honestly think its just bad luck. A number of these fish were in not in the same tank so I can rule out the stray voltage. I still have the very first fish I bought(2 clowns). I have just started a frag tank up, took down my old display and am waiting to build my new display which means a whole new tank to stock. I am not going to be stocking it with large fish and my clowns will probably be the biggest fish in there.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:52 PM

Well I'm going to give it another shot. Just bought another bi-color blenny. I really like these fish and was super disappointed with the loss so hopefully this one makes it. If it doesn't then that's it, no more fish for a long while.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:58 AM

Well so far so good, I even went out and bought a Hector goby. It's shy but it's pretty cool looking. I'm really digging these smaller fish.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:12 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

pics ? :-)