Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 01-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Forum Resurrection - Format

Well, turns out this forum has been hidden for 7 years, so let's bring it back.

What we would like to see here are articles/posts with information applicable to newcomers in the hobby. We can then have a Q&A following that post, but only this type of informative post will be permitted as a thread starter.
All posts are moderated in this forum and subject to review before publishing. (I think!)
Old 01-30-2014, 04:31 PM

PaulCheung is on a distinguished road

Equipments list what they are for, price range, why you need not do not need them.

What can get into your tank without you knowing it? Pests, non-harmful creatures. How to prevent it? What should you do when they are in your tank.

Bacteria and algae. The cause and solutions.

plumping and water flow management: overflows and return pump, rate of return, different type pumping stuffs (bulk head, gate valve, check valve etc)

Dosing - why, when and what.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:41 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road
Default What Salt

I'll start this off.

So whats the best salt to use for my reef tank?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:05 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I'm going to be doing a bunch of work in this new forum. You guys can all feel free to send me a PM with subject ideas and requests too. I will do my best to get a library of references from various authors (CanReef members included!) sorted out in this forum. Please have some patience, this is going to be a lot of work.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 01-30-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:27 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I'm going to be doing a bunch of work in this new forum. You guys can all feel free to send me a PM with subject ideas and requests too. I will do my best to get a library of references from various authors (CanReef members included!) sorted out in this forum. Please have some patience, this is going to be a lot of work.
Is'nt the point to have the new hobbyists to post questions and have all of us answer them? Not much of a discussion as each of us all have different opinions on how tanks are run.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Is'nt the point to have the new hobbyists to post questions and have all of us answer them? Not much of a discussion as each of us all have different opinions on how tanks are run.
I think it's best to submit ideas, we'll post the article, then allow a discussion of opinions on it afterwards. Trying to not overwhelm the new reader with too much conflicting info, so probably better to consider basic info first? This is a new (old) idea, so still trying to figure it out.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:01 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I think it's best to submit ideas, we'll post the article, then allow a discussion of opinions on it afterwards. Trying to not overwhelm the new reader with too much conflicting info, so probably better to consider basic info first? This is a new (old) idea, so still trying to figure it out.
Not sure how you will be able to separate popular opinion from truly good advice. There are many here that are quick to respond based on what they think they know, and not based on direct experience and results from their own tanks.

I know when I was a newbie, I was definitely misled by some, and still see some of the same myths peddled regularly. Fortunately I eventually learned who to trust, and who not to, and of course learned from my own experiences.

If someone is going to post here as an expert, I would like see to a current tank journal thread included as a reference that shows their success (and failures that they learned from). I think that would help newbies to avoid some of the classic mistakes we still see over and over. And which is why many don't last more than a year or so in this hobby.

Maybe even have a sticky thread called Common Newbie Mistakes.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

I would like to see a few sub forums removed... Lots of posts seem to get lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2014, 07:07 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

I'm in as well. Like Myka, I'll do up some serious articles for anything that is requested.

I'm a Chemical and Mechanical engineer who did a PhD in photochemistry and quantum mechanics, has developed several water treatment technologies, currently owns water filter company and am a total SPS nerd.

If anyone has any questions in those areas, being:

Lighting and Corals
Water Chemistry
Water treatment (skimming, dosing, etc)

I can help you out. Feel free to PM me!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:52 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road
Default Basic Equipment and decorations

Basic Equipment and decorations

There are a lot of people who are becoming more and more interested in the Salt Water world however are very imtimidated by it. There are 2 basic styles of a salt water aquarium the Reef type and the Fish only With Live Rock(Fowlr) but both systems work on the same principles and within that there is the nano system which is generally considered to be roughly 45 gallons and smaller. I will discuss basic equipment and basic accesories for getting started.

COST
The first thing to understand with cost if you go cheap you get what you paid for it and there is the potential for malfunctions do your homework you will find a wide variety of equipment and pricing ask questions, see what other reefers are using on forums and their aquarium builds and if you have a local fish store(LFS) what their pricing is compared to online stores. It is important to remember to not under budget yourself as it will lead to you spending more than you bargained for and buy it one piece at a time if you need to over a period of time.

PLACEMENT
It is important to know what size of tank your getting because when it is filled with water, rock, sand/crush/gravel that tank becomes quite heavy. It is also important to note where you live is it an apartment complex, duplex, house, rental or other form of living quarters as each one has its own weight limitations. Will it be on the second floor of your dwelling or sitting on a concrete pad on the bottom floor. Also another consideration will it be in direct sunlight or in a shaded area if possible try to keep your tank out of direct sunlight as it will promote algae growth shaded or areas with indirect sunlight are the best areas to place tanks. If it isn't possible to keep out of direct sunlight try to cover the windows with dark drapes or blinds it will help. Once you have decided on what size of tank your getting and placement in your residence you can start buying hardware

BASIC HARDWARE
The basic hardware is Lights, Circulation pumps, heaters, Protein Skimmers, timers, salt, RO-RODI, return pump(if using a sump), Sumps

Lights-There are 3 basic types of lighting LED, Flourescent and metal halide lights all 3 have their advantages and disadvantages Metal halides give best light spectrum but cost a lot to buy and run, LEDs offer a huge variety in colours and spectrums and are cheap to run but expensive to buy, Flourescent lights again offer a wide variety of lighting and spectrum needs but again can be expensive to buy and is middle of the road between the other 2 lighting systems to run.

Circulation pumps-Salt water aquariums require quite a bit of water flow in the tank for your critters to thrive and to prevent detrius from building up. Remember the ocean continually moves and we have to recreate that with pumps there are many types to choose from however it is recommended you buy pumps that you can keep in place with magnets(suction cups tend to be unreliable)

Heaters-you have to maintain your water at a certain temperature in order for your reef to survive and again many styles of heaters to choose from best ones to get are the fully submersable ones again the cost varies greatly on these

Protein Skimmers- These skim the water to take out organic material and larger particles and there are 2 types of skimmers Hang On Back(HOB) and in sump submersable skimmers depending on the size of tank you are running one may be better than the other. As a general rule of thumb get a skimmer that skims a larger tank than what you have it will save you a lot of grief in the long run(IE. if you have a 60 gallon tank get a skimmer that skims up to 100 gallons)

Timers-You will need timers at the very least to turn your lights on and off at set times as your fish and critters need a set routine leaving your lights on 24 hrs a day will cause serious harm to your fish and critters

Salt-There are many types of salt out there it is basically a personal choice on what type to use

RO-RODI water filtration systems-we use these because generally our tap water contains trace metals and chemicals that can harm or kill our tanks so we use these to filter out those metals and chemicals. These filtration systems can be bought at water purification stores or some LFS will carry them as well cost varies greatly depending on what you get

Return Pump -This is used if you are running a sump system in conjunction with your aquarium. The return pump is just that it pumps the water from your sump up to the aquarium at a set rate and again many styles and types to choose from and cost vary widely as well

Sump-this generally is another tank roughly one third to half the size of your display aquarium that sits under or beside your display aquarium. The sump serves many different functions you can hide all your equipment down in it(heaters, skimmers and other equipment) the sump can also serve as another filtration system or a habitat for beneficial algae, plants and to help seed live rock. There are many types, styles and functionality of sumps so choose what will best suit you

BASIC DECORATIONS
This is your rock, sand or other substrate.
Rock-There are two types of rock dead rock and live rock. These can be bought from LFS, online suppliers or other reefers and the rock comes from many different places in the ocean and are in many shapes and sizes and weight. Live rock contains organisms and critters that will help your tank cycle and mature. dead Rock is just that it is dead nothing lives on it and it will eventually become live rock in your tank again after a period of time.

Sand/crushed coral/rock rubble-this is a personal choice on what to use and how much you want in your tank anything from a thin layer to a bed that is several inches deep. Sand is pleasant to look at and many fish and critters will use it to hide in but sand has a downside in that it will get blown around in the tank and depending on how deep the sand bed is it can trap gases and other stuff in it and when released can affect water parameters of your tank. Crushed coral and rock rubble is larger and heavier and won't move near as much and is liked as coral, clams and other organisms can attach to it easily however downside is with a lot of surface area it can attract algae buildup and be very difficult to clean.

The above is a very basic list of your equipment there is a lot more to be said but this will give you a general idea of what to start with