Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2014, 05:02 PM

Trevor W is on a distinguished road
Default Whole house pre filter

Now I may be crazy in thinking that this is something worth trying, but before I do I would like other peoples thoughts on it.

My idea is to install a whole house pre filter like the photo below (a larger version of the pre filter on your RODI unit) on the drain line coming from the main drain of an overflow ( in my case the herbie method) and going to the sump. In effect taking the place of filter socks. I am guessing that the pre filters they sell would likely last alot longer than how often filter socks need to be cleaned or changed/rotated. Yes I can also see it becoming a nitrate factory if neglected but with filter replacements usually being quite cheap it wouldn't be IMO too much to change it once a month or every other month depending on how long it would last. What do you guys think? I tried searching to see if this has been done but I couldn't seem to yield any results. Would love to hear your thoughts.