Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 10-11-2013, 07:35 AM

xoticlover is on a distinguished road
Default Hippocampus fuscus or sea pony

Sorry after my last post I realized that the real species im looking for is hippocampus fuscus or sea pony. Again if anyone knows of anyone in or near British Columbia with these please let me know. Thanks
Old 10-11-2013, 02:56 PM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

H. fuscus is not available currently in North America.
A pair of them could be kept in a 20g tank minimum.
Sea Pony is a slang for whatever a person might be talking about at any given time, not a species.
The "pony" use frustrates many seahorse keepers to the point they don't reply to posts of people using that improper terminology.
Current availability in Canada at the moment is limited to tank raised kuda and reidi, with the occasional order of pot belly abdominalis.
True Captive Bred erectus and zosterae come through Sea U Marine, and a lot of stores sell reidi from Aquamarine International but the Aquamarine ones are rumored to have augmented supply from tank raised by other companies they buy them from since sales of the Aquamarine appear to outdo their ability to supply. I have no proof of this, but I personally know the stock is NOT up to what it was years ago, with pre-sexable seahorses being sold, "blunt tipped" tail reidi salvaged from batches with bacterial disease, and generally speaking, must lower survival rates than years ago.
Occasionally I have seen tiger tail H. comes apparently also from Aquamarine.

Last edited by rayjay; 10-11-2013 at 03:06 PM.