Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 06-27-2004, 10:24 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road
Default 120 Gallon Reef set up ready to add salt water and rock

Here are photos of my 120g reef tank, it is my first saltwater tank not including my quarantine tank.

It is a 120 gallon Oceanic Reef-Ready tank and stand.

It took a lot longer to set everything up than I thought, including waiting for items to arrive and time spent fiddling with the plumbing.

The lighting is 8 x 54 Watt T5 pendant.

The return is a Mag 12.

The skimmer is a EuroReef CS-6-2+. It is by far the noisiest part of my system, despite noise reduction techniques (isolating both the sump base and skimmer/pump with closed cell foam) the skimmer/pump is at least four times as loud as my Mag 12 return, I hope it quiets down.

The overflow plumbing is Herbie's silent sump system. The two main 1" drains are valved back so no air comes down the into the sump. There are two 3/4" emergency drains which ordinarily are dry, they are there to prevent a flood in case the 1" returns get blocked. Withouth the skimmer on the system is virtually silent.

There is a little refuge area in the middle of the sump.

Also of note are the magnetic door locks. My two year old sprayed shaving cream all over my bathroom, I don't want her getting into my aquarium.

Not shown is the Tunze 6060 stream for added circulation.

Anyway that is my tank and I will add pics as things progress, I figure on 100 to 140 pounds of live rock probably Kanaii, maybe Fiji if I can get a competitive price on it. The fish list keeps changing but currently stands at 2 false percula clowns (already in my Q-tank), one hippo tang, one foxface rabbitfish, a royal gramma, a wrasse maybe 6-line, and maybe 1 or 2 other fish. As for corals I will start slow and easy and see what happens.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:38 PM

robert is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 120 Gallon Reef set up ready to add salt water and rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
The skimmer is a EuroReef CS-6-2+. It is by far the noisiest part of my system, despite noise reduction techniques (isolating both the sump base and skimmer/pump with closed cell foam) the skimmer/pump is at least four times as loud as my Mag 12 return, I hope it quiets down.
No, it won't. Mine didn't. It is in operation for little over 6 weeks now. It still produces that annoying humming noise that carries really far.

Nice setup, enjoy!
Old 06-27-2004, 10:43 PM

LostMind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LostMind

Looking good so far! I really like the dual overflow for the 120. I wish I had purchased that instead of my undrilled 120 - smart move!
Old 06-27-2004, 11:26 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default Herbie's Silent Sump system??

Can you elaborate or explain on this silent sump system? I see your return have absolutely no bubbles coming out!!! Thats excellent but I would like to know how to do it!
Old 06-27-2004, 11:57 PM

robert is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Herbie's Silent Sump system??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chin_lee
Can you elaborate or explain on this silent sump system? I see your return have absolutely no bubbles coming out!!! Thats excellent but I would like to know how to do it!
Here is the post from the originator.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:02 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Can I ask that you edit those pics down to at least half that size? If you can't/don't know how, let me know and I'll send you smaller shots. Thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 04:24 AM

I tried to edit the pics down to smaller size with the software that came with my camera, but I just got jagged edges on all the straight lines. Anyway let me know what software to use to scale down the pics and I'll do it.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:48 AM

OK did it with Paintshop Pro.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:51 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
OK did it with Paintshop Pro.
Thanks!
Old 06-29-2004, 03:52 AM

Anyway I am having a heck of time quieting down my EuroReef, I may be forced to put it on a timer and have it run only overnight and when no one is home.