Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-02-2011, 01:11 AM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road
Default Overflow Setup

Hey guys ive recently setup a cpr 100 oveflow box along with an ecoplus return pump rated for just over 1000gph. Im having a hard time keeping the level in the tank consistent. I have two ball valves, one between the return pump and the tank and the other right after the overflow heading to the sump. I find i keep adjusting the pump valve with the overflow wide open but i cant seem to find the 'sweet spot'. If i have the pump open to much i obviously come close to bringing the water level to the top of the tank, too low and the overflow becomes noisy and starts sucking in alot of air from the surface? can anyone offer any advice how how to keep this level consistent or is this just an issue a hang on overflow has? Im trying to keep the water height about a 1/4" above the overflow inlet to prevent any air from trying to enter. Thanks.

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 03-02-2011, 01:16 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Not familiar with this product but seeing it is only rated to flow 800 gph i would say throttle down your pump a lot. It shows once the pump flow is established that then the overflow its self is adjustable for water level in the tank.

360 Reef Tank
Old 03-02-2011, 01:17 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Is there set screws on each side of the overflow box to adjust the height of the box? If so lower the box as far as it will go and turn you pump valve open full. Adjust the flow the flow with the valve after the box to maintain it level.

Hope this helps.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 03-02-2011, 01:45 AM

the overflow box is at its lowest setting. I think where im really confused about this setup is how much flow is too much? I can decrease the pump flow enough to the point where hardly any water is entering the overflow, the problem with this is the amount of air its sucking up not only from the intake but also from the exit down to the sump making the overflow loud on all ends. If i increase pump gph i can make the overflow work harder and shut it up almost completly but this also increases the amount of water sitting in the last chamber (exit chamber) even above the final baffle. im assuming a water level that high in the exit chamber is telling me im exceeding what the overflow is able to handle.. i hope this makes sense...

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

Old 03-02-2011, 01:52 AM

As long as the water level in the final stage of the overflow is not really close to the top then it will be fine. I ran a 1200gph overflow with the water above the last baffle.

I would consider changing the pump out for one that is rated for the same gph as the overflow box.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 03-02-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
As long as the water level in the final stage of the overflow is not really close to the top then it will be fine. I ran a 1200gph overflow with the water above the last baffle.
ok, yeah thats where it got confusing. Ive been tinkering with it and have it running fairly quietly just over the final baffle. Maybe ill give a smaller pump a try as well, Thanks.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:13 AM

I would definately try a pump closer to the overflow rating, what size of tank do you have it on?

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 03-02-2011, 02:33 AM

its on a 33g with a 30g sump. the return pump is the ecoplus 1056 with 4' of head pressure and a couple 90* bends I as well as the LFS figured itd come out pretty close to 800gph. The overflow also has a couple 90s to deal with before reaching the sump. Perhaps im losing more flow than i figured because the sump is currently sitting ground height, beside the display stand and not directly under it. (new stand needed to fit the sump...)

Old 03-02-2011, 02:37 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

are you using the little tube that fits in the strainer inside the overflow. if you play with the height of that a little bit it should allow you find the point were it lets all of the air escape.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 AM

yeah i played around with that as well, i didnt find it to be much help, however if i keep the water level close or above the level of the baffle, it shuts the outlet right up. its just keeping the whole setup stable so the water level doesnt start creeping up or down.