Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 PM

marvinsae is on a distinguished road
Default need help asap! my tank is shocking me

ok i noticed the past couple of days when i put my arm in i would get a tingly feeling, i just thought it was my nerves. today i got a HUGE shock and i dont know where its coming from. everything i bought new EXCEPT for my pump which has a nick in the wire and also 1 power head was purchased used. most likely the pump? however the pumps on the bottem and i dont get shocked when i touch the sump, but only in the display tank around the same area as the return hose. i dunno if that makes any sense and i definately dont wanna test it out again without hurting myself. what should i do. as of now i have everything turned it, the electric current aren't effecting the fish
Old 04-26-2010, 08:43 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Start testing by unplugging each electrical outlet and then sticking your fingers in the water. When you don't get shocked you have found your source, simply pull and replace but from the sounds of it the powerhead with a nick in it is probably your problem and would be the first one to test.
Levi
Old 04-26-2010, 08:45 PM

it really friggin hurts. the first time i put my hand in today i thought it felt like a shock so i did it again and it killed the second time. oh and its the water pump, not the power head with the nick in the wire...
Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Well, its not going to kill you that's for sure. If you're that worried you can always purchase a voltmeter and test it that way.

You don't happen to have an open cut on your finger do you? I thought something very similar to you and even had my brother stick his finger in the tank to no avail. Ended up being the smallest little nick on my finger, feels like your getting shocked but its salt in the wound that your feeling.
Levi
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM

this shock felt mroe then a little sting. i jumped back pretty far. how long will my fish be ok without a pump? i gotta head over to my LFS...i only have 2 power heads in the dp and my light...im worried about the temp
Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 PM

no_bs is on a distinguished road

Get a ground rod, and put all electrical on a gfci plug. But definitly get a new pump, you will end up on the floor one day. Do you not have a heater? As long as you have water movement they'll be fine, same with the sump. HTH

Last edited by no_bs; 04-26-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 PM

ok im pretty sure its the pump...unplugged it and no shock and it did have a nick in the wire but none of the wires were exposed? what i dont get it why i would get shocked from the top of the display tank when the pump is sitting in the sump
Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 PM

no_bs is on a distinguished road

Electricty works in strange ways, but can't answer that question.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:18 PM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

There might be more damage to the pump than just a nick on the wire. I am guessing the epoxy seal(normally green covering the entire inside of the pump might be starting to crack too, might just be a hairline crack if it is not obvious but just enough for water to seep in.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:26 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Good thing you found the cause and still around. Might think about a couple GFI circuits for next time (don't place one everything all one one circuit or may crash tank due nuisance trips).

Zoa, as for the advise below, hope you were kidding. Let's see, know there's a electical problem, let's keep sticking your finger into to tank and hopefully you can find the fault before you electorate yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
Start testing by unplugging each electrical outlet and then sticking your fingers in the water. When you don't get shocked you have found your source, simply pull and replace but from the sounds of it the powerhead with a nick in it is probably your problem and would be the first one to test.
Levi