Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-17-2013, 06:32 PM

Aikidoka is on a distinguished road
Default Starting a saltwater tank

Guys,

I'm thinking of switching my 125g into a saltwater tank, is it hard to maintain? Especially for a big tank and a beginner as me? I've been an aquarist for so long, keeping fish is not new to me, just saltwater.

So, do you recommend it? Or go for a smaller one first then jump to big setup?

Any inputs will be noted. If you ahave any tips for me please put it here, thanks!
Old 08-17-2013, 06:55 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

What you asked over here will fetch a lot of debate and controversial suggestions. How big you should go is totally upto you. Bigger tanks are:

1. More expensive to keep (and you may already be aware of saltwater being expensive)
2. Harder to maintain (well that's a bit debatable since the degree of maintenance varies from tank to tank)
3. Easier to keep stable

I personally prefers to suggest people to start with moderate size (like a 40B) so that, in case it doesn't suite your time and lifestyle, you can shut it off without much of a hit. Bigger tank = more initial investment = more loss if taken down. Alongside, I believe that you should set a budget and see for which tank you can "afford" the good stuffs instead of going big and getting stuffs that you will regret later. A well equipped small tank is always better than a ill equipped big tank.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 08-17-2013, 07:07 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road
Default Go for it!!

I would agree with Raied and recommend going with a smaller tank (<50g) to start off with. You are going to make mistakes with SW. That is just part of the learning. When you have some success and really want a larger tank, then you are ready for the bigger investment. And you'll have a much better idea of what you really want, as there are lots of choices with fish, corals and tank/sump design.

But for sure, go to SW. I had FW many years ago, and eventually got bored with it. SW is much more challenging, but the rewards are greater, too. The trick is to go slow, though. A common mistake with SW newbies is they try to rush the cycling, etc, and add livestock way too soon.

Good luck. I am sure you will enjoy it.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:16 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

++++1

For years the rule had been go as big as you could afford but that came with its own set of problems mostly monetary issues now people are starting small and working their way upward the biggest key in Salt Water is patience go slow it is the toughest thing in the SW world to do but going slow will save you a lot of grief in the long run.

Take your time peruse the board and you will get an idea of what is involved and make the decision people will do their best to help if you decide to jump on board
Old 08-17-2013, 07:32 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I think your 125 will be fine. Just do some reserch on equip so you are prepared to shell the money. Don't cheap out either. IMO that will cost more in the long run.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:43 PM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
I think your 125 will be fine. Just do some reserch on equip so you are prepared to shell the money. Don't cheap out either. IMO that will cost more in the long run.
X2 I learned this lesson the hard way. I ended up replacing everything I cheaped out on.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:26 PM

Thank you guys for the input. I think I'll go with small one first then go big.

The smallest tank I got is 29g long then 55g then 75g, they are all empty. What's the perfect size I should start?

So sorry for all the questions guys. Again, thanks for replying.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:30 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikidoka View Post
Thank you guys for the input. I think I'll go with small one first then go big.

The smallest tank I got is 29g long then 55g then 75g, they are all empty. What's the perfect size I should start?

So sorry for all the questions guys. Again, thanks for replying.
I don't like taller tank with less width so 55g wouldn't be my choice is any way. I don't know the dimension of 29g long. But since you already have experience with freshwater and pretty much familiar with basics, I would go with the 75g and keep the 29g long for quarantine. The dimension is great and you can add few fancy fishes in there. But as you go bigger, remember these few things:
1. More salt
2. More light
3. More filtration

If you are ready for it, for for it

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 08-17-2013, 08:41 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

My recommendation (won't be the most popular opinion, I'm sure) would be go with the 29g, and skimmerless to start. Just a canister filter and lots of live rock. Do 10g water changes every 2 weeks. And a good internal flow pump (like a 1400 gph Koralia).

Again, take your time with the cycle and adding livestock. There will be lots of time after you get started to decide which livestock to choose, and when.

Save your money for the sump and skimmer (big bucks) for later when you are ready to go with the big tank (125g). The 29g can then become your QT or frag tank. In the meantime you will learn a lot, and am sure will get much enjoyment with your new SW adventure.

And small tank mistakes are much easier (and cheaper) to correct than if you have a big tank.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:52 PM

Thank you for the reply. I think I'm going with 75g.

By the way, here's the dimension of my 75g tank: 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 21 3/8.

Here's what I have researched so far:

Live rock- Rule of the thumb atleast 1 or 2lbs per gallon

Live sand - same as liverock or atleast 3" to 4" high from the ground.

Lighting - I just bought it off from eBay (cheaper)

Salt - don't know about the dosage for initial setup and dosage every water change.

Water test kit - don't have it yet, don't know which one to get.

What else do I need to startup the tank? Do I need protein skimmer, power heads? Or etc? If I need a filter, I have a good one that's just sitting around and a heater too, so I'm good with these.

I am patience, I don't care how long this tank will takes me to set it up, I just want a perfect tank as a beginner and learn from it.