Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-04-2016, 09:30 PM

TheWatchmanGoby is on a distinguished road
Default Any acan experts?

Hi, i bought a vivid acan mini colony a couple weeks ago and it seems to have lost its vividness but not its size.
Its tentacles are out everynight and i feed it every second or 3rd day. Hes got some fatness and puff to him too.
My light is a radion g2 and i run it all day on blues (50%) and a couple hours in the morning with some white and a little red and green in there. Light is 12 inches off tank. My tank is 24 high and right now the acan is about 5 inches off sandbed on a rock in the center of tank with low flow.(hammer in the same area is at a gentle slow motion pulse/sway)
Old 11-04-2016, 09:34 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

I'm no expert but I've always found acans don't like direct white led and will stay shriveled up while there on.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanerickson View Post
I'm no expert but I've always found acans don't like direct white led and will stay shriveled up while there on.
yeah i think i got 10% of white mixed in for a couple hours in the morning, which isn't much at all.

nothing can just be easy.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:02 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Blue LEDs will bring some colours out of acans but blue plus t5 are supposedly to bring the best colours out of acans, in the ocean I would suspect acans are found quite deep down meaning that the light they receive is most likely going to be a light to dark blue and very muted.... something to keep in mind, while leds don't seem very bright to the eye they can and will bleach a lot of lps, even some Montipora species get effected by them if not acclimated properly.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 11-04-2016, 10:19 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Acans and chalice love t5 just saying 😀
Old 11-04-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Blue LEDs will bring some colours out of acans but blue plus t5 are supposedly to bring the best colours out of acans, in the ocean I would suspect acans are found quite deep down meaning that the light they receive is most likely going to be a light to dark blue and very muted.... something to keep in mind, while leds don't seem very bright to the eye they can and will bleach a lot of lps, even some Montipora species get effected by them if not acclimated properly.
gonna try move it down and to the side.thanks.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:06 PM

sobe is on a distinguished road

I have recently got some Acans as well, I noticed I first put it on a rock mid level in the tank and each head seem to have constricted and didn't look happy. I moved it to the sandbed and it's all puffed up now and colors are back up. So yea I think further away from direct light. My tank is about 24" deep. Right now it's growing into a dome shape. I will put a flat LR where it can grow and spread
Old 01-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

All my acans down on the side receive mostly blue and atinic led light with a hint of blue, they are super puffy yet I never feed them...

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips