Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 04-13-2009, 11:19 PM

reefy is on a distinguished road
Default Blurry eye on my Achilles

I noticed today that my Achilles tang has an Blurry eye and trust me it doesnt look good at all can anyone tell me what cause it or how can I get it cure? hes currently acting normal(swiming eating...ich on and off...) please help!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I've had fish show that symptom. I suspect it is bacterial because it seems to me that once a fish has it, it doesn't ever get it again.

I had a majestic angel years ago that died as a result. My current Majestic also showed that same thing, but he kicked it and is doing just fine today. (I didn't intervene)
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 AM

uuufff what a relief haha thanks for the info untamed...
Old 04-14-2009, 12:14 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Often if its one eye, its just scratched but if its both, its a bacterial infection. Cloudy eyes are often just nothing but can be signs of bad things to come. I have lost fish very quickly after seeing a cloudy eye in the past. I would watch it closely.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Often if its one eye, its just scratched but if its both, its a bacterial infection. Cloudy eyes are often just nothing but can be signs of bad things to come. I have lost fish very quickly after seeing a cloudy eye in the past. I would watch it closely.
thanks for the info Justin, its only one eye and he still eat like a pig. it has a white spot on it tho kinda ich looking thingy.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefy View Post
thanks for the info Justin, its only one eye and he still eat like a pig. it has a white spot on it tho kinda ich looking thingy.
If its just the one eye and he is eating/acting normal, I would say just leave him alone and I bet in a few days it will be gone. Doesn't sound too bad.

I have had fish get a cloudy eye when ich has shown up on the eye too, so it may just be a reaction to the ich.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:54 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

Cloudy eyes, either one or two, are almost always a symptom of something else. Could be as simple as stress, to being scratched and subsequently infected, etc. Some old fish get it and can't get rid of it (likely due to a weakened immune system with age); impaired vision will obviously lead to eventual death. If the fish is acting normal, no worries though... depending on the hardiness of the affected fish, they usually bounce back. Even when the eye goes exopthalmic (popeye) although that indicates a more severe situation. As brad mentioned, i seems that once they get it, they usually don't get it again... I have seen multiple repeat cases though.

edit: it would be good to closely observe the fish and see if there is anything that is stressing it out, especially tankmates. It would also be a good idea to feed lots (without crashing the tank) and soaking frozen foods in a supplement of some kind.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 PM

Thanks for everyones replies, I really apprecciated, its very helpfull...
Old 04-14-2009, 08:53 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
Cloudy eyes, either one or two, are almost always a symptom of something else. Could be as simple as stress, to being scratched and subsequently infected, etc. Some old fish get it and can't get rid of it (likely due to a weakened immune system with age); impaired vision will obviously lead to eventual death. If the fish is acting normal, no worries though... depending on the hardiness of the affected fish, they usually bounce back. Even when the eye goes exopthalmic (popeye) although that indicates a more severe situation. As brad mentioned, i seems that once they get it, they usually don't get it again... I have seen multiple repeat cases though.

edit: it would be good to closely observe the fish and see if there is anything that is stressing it out, especially tankmates. It would also be a good idea to feed lots (without crashing the tank) and soaking frozen foods in a supplement of some kind.
plus 1. Not a good sign.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:02 PM

Default Good news

Justin, I think you were right. his eye is clearing out now yeeeee