Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 06-07-2008, 02:36 PM

Ian is on a distinguished road
Default Questions from a Newbie

I have a biocube 29 that has just completed cycling and I have introduced LR, 2 clowns and a yelowtail damsel and a yellow watchman gobie into the tank over the last few weeks. All seems to be going well water is testing fine daily.
I have 2 questions ( at this time)
The water being retuned to the tank is full of tiny air bubbles. I don't think this is anything but an asthetic issue but how do I get rid of them?

I also have a bright red Algae (?) growing on one chunk of LR an on a couple spots on the substrate. Is this a big issue and how do I go about getting rid of it or at least controlling it. I have a few snails of various varieties and some hermit crabs for my CUC but that is all at this point.

Also why didn't anybody tell me this was more addictive than crack I have kept freshwater tanks for 15 years and I am totally hooked on SW. already planning a 110 gallon setup to start in the fall.......

Last edited by Ian; 06-07-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:09 PM

daddy01 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Well in my opinion the biocube hasen't cycled yet till you add some live stock, fish and stuff to start the biological process then the cycle will start and could take a moonth to complet. the red algae is a part of the cycle process and is not good algae, syphon it out of remove from tank.
Jim
Old 06-07-2008, 09:35 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

the air bubbles could be from low water in the rear chamber, i usally keep my water level alot higher than the max line, if the water level dosent help it could be that the water if flowing through the rear to fast causing micro bubles. first thing the cartrige in the first section remove it and dont buy a new one, i removed some of the bioballs and put a bag of carbon from a aquaclear 110 filter and a chunk of filterfloss on top under the black thing in the middle chamber, i also used a small slowdown valve from a phosban reactor to slow the water returning into the tank wich helped alot.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...t_ID=tf-plmvbb
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...t_ID=pf-acr50c

for the algae issue try looking up cyano and see if its what you have, biocubes dont have skimmers on them so you have to be carefull on extra nutrients in the water i do a 5g waterchange every 2 weeks usally but i only have ever had 3-4 fish at at time dont feed extra food and if you can get ro/di water it will help alot
Old 06-08-2008, 01:16 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info.
It is confirmed as cyano and the tukey baster has become aquarium maintenance equipment. From what I have learned my tank is not fully cycled and I should not do any water changes until i is...is this correct?
I'm sure tomorrow will bring new questions so stay tuned
Old 06-08-2008, 01:53 AM

motokorth is on a distinguished road

When removing the bio balls and other things from the filtration do it slowly over time. Do not remove it all now or you may just get a spike from removing some of the bacteria thats there already.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 AM

Default More questions

SO I have the red slime under control now and my water is testing great. BUT I went out for about 5 hours yesterday and my pulsing xenia went from thriving to withered and flat... This is strange I've had it in the tank for a litle over 2 weeks and it has done great growth visible and all that I have read seems it wason its way to great things. Water tests revealed nothing.

Today no change in its state and still getting nice stable water readings

Ideas?
Old 06-10-2008, 02:26 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Thanks for the info.
It is confirmed as cyano and the tukey baster has become aquarium maintenance equipment. From what I have learned my tank is not fully cycled and I should not do any water changes until i is...is this correct?
I'm sure tomorrow will bring new questions so stay tuned
What makes you believe that your tank isn't cycled yet? What are the actual readings for salinity, pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate?

You shouldn't have any fish in your tank until your aquarium is fully cycled, but you DO have fish in there, so to protect them you DO need to do waterchanges to keep the water at least semi-safe for the inhabitants. Depending on your parameters I can suggest a waterchange schedule for you.

It seems that you have rushed things much too fast with having fish AND a coral in your tank already. Take a deep breath, and SLOW DOWN. "Nothing good happens fast in a saltwater aquarium." Remember that. Bad things happen fast, good things happen slow.

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:09 PM

Monti-Man is on a distinguished road

OKay we'll first thing first Nice to see someone from Rimbey i was raised there as we'll

Okay so did you add the rock and cycle the tank with the rock in it? Or how did you cycle it before you added the fish?

The idea of cycling is sand,water,rock and then wait for the cycle. Depending on where you get the rock from that could be a week to over month to cycle.
The fact that you are getting good readings is a good thing. But i guess like Myka said what are the actual numbers?

The cyano could be due to not enough flow. And in a biocube unless you have added more flow that will contribute to that problem.

What is the temp getting to in that tank?

Great board to get involved with lots of help here.

But Myka is right Sloooooow down. This is not a hobby for impatience
Numerous corals,2 purple tangs,choclate mimic tang,Foxface,Solar wrasse,male and female lubbocks wrasse,hoevens wrasse,Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse,Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse,yellow wrasse,3 Yellowstripe Anthias,True percand S.Gigantea anemone
Old 06-11-2008, 02:22 AM

Talking

k so I will give you more info
I have about 25 pound of live rock that came straight out of anoher tank and had been cured there for quite some time ( a few months I believe) so it should be fine and It was never allowed to dry at all.
Once my sand and rock were in I allowed the tank to run that way for a couple weeks and added to it only after all the tests had been level and consistant for a few days in a row.

Temp consistant between 76-78
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0-2.5 ppm
Nitrite 0
pH 8.2
salinity 1.021
These are what I have had since thursday last week.
I check all readings a minimun of twice daily since this setup is so new
As for Flow I added a Koralia 1 to the tank to give this a boost. Why i thought it had not completely cycled was based on advice givin in this thread.
I know I need to slow down and as that goes I can't even get to LFS for the next 2-3weeks so it is a given that I am stopped now
May have to start that bigger tank sooner than fall..........starting to jones
Monti---pm me your real name we may know each other....I grew up in Rimbey and moved back 7 years ago.

Anyhow keep giving advice I am listening
thanks

Last edited by Ian; 06-11-2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:26 AM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

Your salinity is too low for inverts/corals. I would suggest a slow increase to 1.025. Also, xenia can be tempermental. I found that starting out the best way to know if I needed a waterchange (besides my regular weekly ones) was just by watching my xenia. If it looked off I did a wc, and voila it would bounce back.

Last edited by sharuq1; 06-11-2008 at 02:29 AM.