Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 AM

ALBERTA REEF is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ALBERTA REEF
Default I am finely board with the hobby time to down size! So It begins!

I am fiinely board with the hobby time to down size! To a 280 gallon! I have talked to my land lords they say its okay for me to get a bigger tank. As long as I shut down my two 90 gallons and only one tank. No problem! I admit the 90's keeps me buzy. Double everything equippment, water changes, testing and so on. Not complaining. So I figger 280 gallons 72"x30"x30". The biggest assemble tank I can fit down the stairs through the basement door. That I am going to be here for awhile.

But first I am on a fix income thanks to the economy. I need to build to keep my self buzy mind off things. I will build in stages. When the 280g up and running. Some of the equipment from the 90's will be used on the build. The 90's tanks and equippment will be for sell. I would like to fined most of the thing I need on Canreef.

Last edited by ALBERTA REEF; 02-27-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:07 AM

Default Stand

I guess the first thing I have to think about is a stand construction, materials, height and what it is going to house? I am a tall man 6'4" so height is not much of a problem. I would like a big sump at least half the volume of the main tank running water volume 140g. So 180g tank would work 72"x24"x24" none drilled. To house a sump like that it would have to be a metal stand. Now the skimmer I would like to double the main tank volume so 600g or more. Height of the stand plays here. I would need to get equipment in and out for install and cleaning. I need some advise on skimmers? I do like the Asm even thou the are old tex.

I figger the base of the stand would be 72 1/4" x 30 1/4". reason for the extra 1/4". No tank is exact dimensions. The metal stand would probable made out of 2"x2" square tubing. Height right now depends on the skimmer. my thinking the sump would sit on a 3/4" plywood and foem so 1 1/2" the same would be for the main tank. 3" of height is used up add in the top and bottom 2" square tubing 4" equals 7" of height used up.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 AM

Did some research today found two skimmers that are low height. The King Deluxe 300 Internal for 300-800 Gallon Aquarium
Base plate: 12.6" x 19.69"
For tanks from 300 - 800 gallons
2000 L/H air - 792 GPH Water
Total height : 25.59" 58 Watt/h
and
Bubble Magus BM-600PRO
Needlewheel protein skimmer
BM-600PRO
Capability : 2000L-5000L(530G-1325G)
pump:AQUABEE 5000 *2
Pump power: 84W, 220V 50Hz
air intake : 2400L/H
Dimensions: 500*450*670mm(19.6" * 17.7" * 26.3")
cylinder: 12 "
Water Level :9.5"-11"

Height is good but the have a water level 9.5"-11". Bubble King is two much money compared to the Bubble Magus. Both have to have pedestal made for them to get the water height. Bubble Magus runs 2 pumps. I decides to use the two ASM 2G. Together up to 400g. I figger I can mod them.

Stand height would be 36". 29" opening. The stand dimensions will have to change. Change the width to 32 1/4". 74 1/4"lenght X 32 1/4"width X 36"height. Have to be made out of metal Square tubing for strenght

The sump Dimensions have to be changes as well 72"length x 28"width X 20height. Water level height in sump 16". My ASM 2G's running good at the height of 10". 6" stands will have to be made.

Last edited by ALBERTA REEF; 01-12-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 AM

I remeasured the door way and found the new measurements will not fit through the door. So back to the old measurement 72 1/4"lenght, 30 1/4"width x 36"height. The sump dimension have to change too 72"lenght x 26"width x 22"height. Water level height 16". Skimmer stands height 6".
Old 02-26-2010, 04:59 AM

Default New Stand for the 280G

I finely got my stand on last tuesday. Last night I took some time figureing out where I sould place the tank.
The stand is 72 1/2"x30 1/2"x34 1/2". Good thing I changed my stand height. I had to remove the down stairs hand rail and door to get it in to the basement. Now I now that a 280G tank will go down the stairs.

Here are some pic's

Old 02-26-2010, 05:13 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Awesome. Before you get too much further, I would consider adding some additional power circuits to that wall. You don't want to be running everying off that single plug.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 02-26-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
Awesome. Before you get too much further, I would consider adding some additional power circuits to that wall. You don't want to be running everying off that single plug.
That the plan. Whoever Wired the basement wired it all on two 15amp circuits.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:23 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Where did you get the stand done big guy

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 02-26-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Where did you get the stand done big guy
I when through Red Coral. Trigers Coating I think.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:10 AM

DCDN is on a distinguished road

Definately going to be following this one. Loved your two tanks and definately want to see what you're going to be able to do with this.