Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-14-2012, 02:30 AM

dare2dv8 is on a distinguished road
Default Water Changes using NSW from White Rock

Doing some reading and thinking about using nsw for partial Wc's but before I attempt I thought I'd ask if anyone else in the Vancouver area has been successfully using local water in their tanks. If so, where do you collect it from and if you've tested the water what are its parameters?

Last visit to the Vancouver aquarium I had a great chat with a staff biologist who told me all their water is local nsw pumped in but filtered. Said it was better quality going out then coming in.

I'm an hour and a bit from White Rock so not thinking about abandoning asw just to collect a bucket or three whenever I'm in the area.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

When I tested water here outside of Victoria, all levels were low. SG was about 1.019, which is attributed to FW run off. You'd have to pump from farther out and deep.
You'll also notice the whitish brown foam along the shore, that's nature's protein skimmer, and that's a lot of junk. White Rock is off of a shipping lane, so the likelihood of petroleum products in the water is high.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:51 AM

Did you ever use the nsw yourself just adding some salt mix to bring up the SG?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:55 AM

My concern with White Rock is the mud flats are so shallow I'd want to attempt it in an incoming tide and wade out pretty far.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:01 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2dv8 View Post
Did you ever use the nsw yourself just adding some salt mix to bring up the SG?
No, honestly, I wouldn't add that to my tank for any reason. No idea what's in it. The cost of salt is pretty small compared to the cost of rebuilding from an unknown toxin.
I did use it 20 years ago on a cold water local tank, but the livestock was collected locally. They would be acclimated to the water, so safe enough.

I do know a guy here that used to use it on a 2000g tank. He decided it was better to buy salt for a 200g water change, and so far he feels it's been worth the difference he sees in his tank.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:02 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2dv8 View Post
My concern with White Rock is the mud flats are so shallow I'd want to attempt it in an incoming tide and wade out pretty far.
I think you'd need to wade out about a mile and go down half that
Old 09-14-2012, 03:14 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Seems like a strange thing to do, harvesting saltwater and transporting it a decent distance for the only goal I imagine being saving money. If you collect 20 gallons of water that's around $5 worth of salt savings, not sure about you but I wouldn't even load the buckets for $5. The risk of introducing something is extreme unless filtered properly which will cost far more on such a small scale.

If you study your history you'll discover one of the biggest advancements in the hobby was the production of synthetic sea salt. Take advantage of it.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:55 AM

$ can't be the issue being I'd spend the same amount of $ on gas as a bucket of salt...

Reading, I've found that a lot of people use nsw successfully and as advanced as asw has become you've got to remember everything in our tanks over millennia managed to survive in the ocean. For me, the question isn't nsw verses asw but the local quality of coastal nsw and the possible negative effects of human activity. If it's good enough for the Vancouver aquarium...Albeit in a filtered state. Next time I'm there I'll see if I can find someone to tell me what they're filtering and why.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 AM
Just a guy..

But to what end? There doesn't appear to be any advantage, other than the exercise carrying buckets around What is it you hope to gain over salt mix?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:18 AM

Question I'm pondering is would nsw contain micro fauna in the water column that would be of benefit to corals and other inhabitants. Also wondering if it would contain a more natural diversity of bacteria that periodically added to a tank would help with the overall health.

I realize it's a debated practice that's why I asked if someone had been using it locally and to what results.