Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Red Coral Aquarium > Red Coral Edmonton

Old 09-08-2011, 06:44 PM

RedCoralEdmonton is on a distinguished road
Default Doch's frag before and after

Our SPS tanks have been thriving lately, and Doch gave us a frag to test out show how healthy frags can look totally different in different systems!

Enjoy

Before

2 weeks later

Steve
Old 09-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road

Cool, what are you adding into the tank that doch isn't, or is it just a bit higher nutrient levels, or a difference in lighting to get the change from light to dark purple?

Last edited by spawn; 09-08-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:02 PM

well im sure Doch will chime in here right away with his setup, but this frag has been under an 8 bulb tek light here at the store, running Seachem salinity salt and nothing but a profilux running a doser keeping the calcium, and alk steady....

Steve
Old 09-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCoralEdmonton View Post
well im sure Doch will chime in here right away with his setup, but this frag has been under an 8 bulb tek light here at the store, running Seachem salinity salt and nothing but a profilux running a doser keeping the calcium, and alk steady....

Steve
Thx Steve, what is the lowest K bulb you have in the tek light & do you know what the No3 is at?
Sean
Old 09-08-2011, 11:08 PM

Hey Sean, my NO3 is pretty much non existant.... the bulbs are - 4 Geisemann actinic+ (22,000k), 2 Geisemann Aquapink, and 2 Geisemann Aquablue+ (15,000k)

Steve
Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Banned

hey Steve, i've been running 2 FP 3 SB & 1 10k all KZ bulbs & have been suspicious of the 10k ever since I put it in, as the reason for lighter purples, as I've been trying pretty much everything to get them darker with the exception of that bulb. I'm a bit lo on K but its at about 350mg/pl & going up, there have been some improvements with color on the growth tips & slight;y in the main branches, but I deffnately think I'll change the bulb out for something higher k. It'll be interesting to hear what the Dochs lights r.....
Old 09-08-2011, 11:55 PM

ya maybe switch out for a new gen

Steve
Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 AM

doch is on a distinguished road

Wow Steve! I knew that this one colored up nicely, and grew lots for you, but I didn't realize how much until seeing the b&a. Looking good! As for my set up, I'm running 9 t5ho's (hahaha). There are 4 New Gen, 3 Blue Plus, and 2 Fiji Purple. This frag was cut shortly after my old tank had been neglected, and the upgrade set up. Nutrients are very low, and I'm running full Zeo. It's very interesting to me to see how different sps can look in different tanks. In Edmonton, I had a red mille. I briught it up to Fort Mac, and it turned 100% blue. I couldn't believe it!

Steve, you should take a few of the frags that I just brought in for you... I'll be very interested to see how much of a change there is in those ones in 2 weeks!! (hopefully they don't sell before then!! lol)

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 09-09-2011, 02:21 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info guys, I did the switch...it was a bit of a pain , but gave me a chance to clean both sides of the lens. It wasn't that bad. I'm vodka dosing & using a regular zeo dosing routine with ulns. Everything looks great with extreme P.E around the clock... just trying to dial in those purple acros, millys, hopefully thelighting change makes a diff.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Banned

Hey guys 1 more question, I'm wondering how high the lighting was/is above the pictured coral? Thx.