Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 01-24-2010, 07:07 PM

mark is on a distinguished road
Default Dosing setups - pictures

Considering moving from a Ca reactor to a dosing system.

Wondering if anyone willing to put up pictures of their system and a description; tank, dosing system, what dosing and how much/often?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:23 PM

JOEL is on a distinguished road

tagging along
Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

My setup is pretty simple. I have a profilux with 3 heads. It supports 4 so I could buy another one to install if I wanted to but as it is, I only use two out of my 3 heads.

I dose Alkalinity (Baking Soda) with one and Calcium (from LittlesilverMax) with the other. I mix them and store them in 4L jugs but dose from 2L bottles as seen below.

There are two types of Profilux dosers, the standalone one (which has a built in timer) and the non-standalone one which requires a profilux controller. I have the latter because I have the controller. I dose each 4 times a day. Alkalinity is 49ml per dose and calcium is 66ml per dose. That's a depletion rate of 196ml of Alk a day and 264ml of calcium a day? Now that it is dialed in, all I do is top up the chemicals and test. When I first set it up I just guessed how much I needed. Then test every couple of days to see how much each depleted and compensated by pumping in more or less. I haven't touched the dosing amounts for about a month now.

Alk is 8.5dkH and calcium is 420ppm.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:31 AM

Thanks Kien.

Any thoughts for the 3rd channel?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Mine's even more simple and would be fair to call it ghetto. I use two aqualifter pumps ($15 each), ARM or carbon containers for the reservoirs (about 1 gallon volume), and then needle valves at the output for throttling down the driprate. Adjusting the right volume is a combination of how many minutes on the timers are plus opening up or closing down the drip valves. The timers run at 6 intervals of 2 minutes each, offset by 1.5 hours so that they don't drip at the same time.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:46 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Mine is exactly the same as Tony's but I only have 1 pump and i dose Kalkwasser and makeup water. I adjust my levels by varying the amount of Kalk I use. My resevoir is a old salt bucket. Mine is set to run for 5 minutes every 3 hours during the night.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 AM

well the Aqualifters would definitely get me a feel for dosing.

What concentrations are you guys mix the solutions?
Old 01-25-2010, 02:08 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I just follow the Randy Holmes-Farley article recipes, so 2.25cups of Alk and 2.5 cups of Ca per gallon.

Mixing is a slight pain, I put half a gallon of RO/DI in the kettle and boil it then mix it all together in a big honking mixing bowl. Even with the warmer water I have to add the Alk part slowly otherwise it clumps up on me.

For Alk it's just baked baking soda from Costco, Ca is from Littlesilvermax. I get MB from LSM as well but don't bother with automated dosing for Mg, just do it by hand.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:32 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

My setup is pretty much the same: Aqua Medic 3000 doser for alk and Aqua Lifter for calcium both run through an Aqua Controller Jr. (calcium dosed in the morning hours and alk in the afternoon) Magnesium manually. Salt buckets for reservoirs.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:59 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

GHL SA2 (stand alone).....set to auto (automatically alternates dosing time so the doses never overlap)....25 ml of both Calcium and DKH (Randy's recipe, #2 recipe for DKH)24 times/day.... manually dose Mg...... system is roughly 150g....considering adding a third pump to it to dose phyto

I couldnt be happier with this set up.....very easy to use and set up...
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694