Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > JL Aquatics

Old 01-06-2015, 05:29 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road
Question Shlobster calculator? (ABC)

Hey friends at J+L, wondering if you have a dosing calculator to recommend for your Shlobster line of additives.
I bought the 3 gallon dry packages of each, Mag, Alk, Cal. And for starters I would like to raise Mg on fresh Instant Ocean from 1200 to 1350 before adding to my tank.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

The one page has a calculator link
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...t_ID=jl-calk36
Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

BRS also has one

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator
Old 01-06-2015, 02:15 PM

I've seen those calculators before but then which product is it the same as? The Shlobster label says its a mixture of Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate
Old 01-06-2015, 04:30 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I've seen those calculators before but then which product is it the same as? The Shlobster label says its a mixture of Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate
5 cups of mag chloride and 3 cups of mag sulfate to produce a gallon of mag mix, the pre-bagged mix is for 2 part. you are suppose to mix up 20 ounces and dose it at the end of your calcium and alkalinity gallon mix and not to raise your level.

To raise your wc just mix the 5 and 3 and use the brs calculator for the mag mix and that should do it.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 01-06-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
5 cups of mag chloride and 3 cups of mag sulfate to produce a gallon of mag mix, the pre-bagged mix is for 2 part. you are suppose to mix up 20 ounces and dose it at the end of your calcium and alkalinity gallon mix and not to raise your level.

To raise your wc just mix the 5 and 3 and use the brs calculator for the mag mix and that should do it.
So I shouldn't use part C (mag) to raise mag in NSW, instead I should go buy the bulk Chloride and Sulfate, mix 5:3 and follow the BRS calculator for mag mix? I don't think the Shlobster mag mix is the same ratio as that but i will check the label when I get home

Just thinking I should add mag before going in the tank instead of after like the instructions say, keep reading if you wanna see why this would be a problem

As per the Shlobster instructions adding part A and part B are quite easy to understand. My tank has 8 gallons of water and no sump. It says to add 2.5ml of A+B per 10 gallons of water, I assuming this is per day, so I will just lower this to 2ml. So 2ml per 8 gallons, Not a math whiz but that sounds about right..
At this rate it will take me 2000 days (5 years 173.5 days) to use 1 gallon of each mix

Instructions:
Quote:
When you have consumed 1 gallon of both parts A & B, you need to add 20oz of Part C (Magnesium). You can add this all at once (slowly, to an area of high flow), or in smaller increments over time, say 5oz each day for 4 days, just remember to dose 20oz of Magnesium for every gallon of each of A & B added
So after 5 1/2 years of dosing a gallon of each A+B, now I'm supposed to add 20 ounces (.59 litres) of part C.

It would be nice having instructions pertaining to this product line in particular. EX: add 10 ml of part C solution to 10 gallons it will raise Mag by 10ppm
Kind of like how Brightwell has instructions on their label? I just don't trust Brightwells math, they have a math error on the Magnesion P label which Ive been talking with one of their scientists to fix
Old 01-07-2015, 12:44 AM

jlaquatics is on a distinguished road

Vancity,

Contact me at the shop - perhaps I can provide further assistance for you.

Thank you,

Jeff
J&L Aquatics Ltd.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:43 PM

Ok thanks Jeff, will do