Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-22-2015, 06:11 PM

Gilthefish is on a distinguished road
Default zoas - not as pictured?

Hi, so I've been in the hobby for quite some time and have never had problems with zoas, but i picked up acoupe frags (quite afew expensive ones) of a reputable canadian source and they really are not as they seem in the pics. They pretty much look like dull versions. The pics were all wysiwyg, and i have been assured that they are not photo shopped or enhanced at all. Could it just be the lights? Im rocking the new gen razors and the photos were taken under t5s.

does anyone have any tips as to taking true to reality photos?

would these zoas colour up under different lights?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

A lot of people edit. A lot....
A lot of people also claim editing a photo so it looks more like true to eye is not photoshopping. Even if it "enhances" the image past what IMO I would see in person. Happens all the time.

But yes lighting can play into it as well. Everything looks slightly different in different light.

Also if the frags are new they may need some time to de-stress and brighten up as they get used to your lights and your tank.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:26 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

I learned to take all suppliers pics with a grain of salt. I even go as far as knocking the colors/intensity down 2-3 notches so i'm not disappointed when I get them. Lighting will make a difference in on line vs. your tank even if you have the same lights. Then it falls on the skills of the photographer. Most I would say lean towards making them look better on screen vs. seeing them in person... Some make it way too obvious.... like when colors are so intense it blurs the fine details in the coral
Old 05-22-2015, 07:37 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

Usually when buying online I will look around for a few different pics of the coral so I can get a feel for what it should look like. But sometimes it happens I ordered a lobo from a sponsor and the pic was blue rim with a pink middle , when I got it the lobo was green rim with orange center . Twas still a nice piece but nowhere near the photo . What zoas did you buy? The razor should make the colors glow like a t5 would . Turn your blues up and whites off and that's probably how you were viewing it . My razor 160w 200000k makes all my zoas glow.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Colours can look quite different on two different screens too. What the photographer sees and claims is true to life could look much duller or more saturated on your screen.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:14 PM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

Lighting, white balance of camera, colour settings on your monitor, and more can affect how the exact same zoas look.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:23 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Color (White) balancing makes a big difference. I find my photos look amazing after automatic color balancing. Some people call it photoshopping but nowadays most digital cameras can be configured to do some kind of processing/correction without software on a PC.

I personally don't like manually increasing color intensities in photos and won't do it myself. But I use automatic color balancing all the time. In addition, I found my aquarium lighting makes a big difference. So far my Kessils give me better colors for photos than my halides and T5s. From what I can see, a lot of store photos are simply color/white balanced and they look amazing. I don't have any issues when people use automatic color balancing on their photos. A few people here and there probably go beyond color balancing and generally, those photos look fake to me. That, I'm not thrilled with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_balance

Last edited by Samw; 05-22-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:54 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

that is just something you will have to get used to.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:07 AM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Cameras, image import programs, automatic balancing, etc. all play a part in what the picture comes out looking like. I wouldn't necessarily call bullsh*t on the vendor unless it was obvious. Is the egg crate or sand in the original pictures blue or purple? I have been taking tank pictures for quite a while and know what can be done to make a picture unrealistic. Some simple increased saturation, sharpening and a bit of WB adjustment can result in a stunning yet un-true representation of the zoa.

Not necessarily malicious, just not true to the eye.

Are the images taken top down? If so make sure you are looking at the coral top down as well. It makes a huge difference!
Old 05-23-2015, 01:42 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

I've also had corals now this is usually sps look dramatically different after a few weeks in the tank compaired to after they are shipped and lose a bit of color not sure if this would be the same with zoas too but could be an explanation