Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Fishgirl

Default what hang on the back skimmer should I go with

I am just wondering can any of you tell me your thoughts on what is the best hang on the back skimmer? I am not looking to spend ALOT of money on it as at some point in the next year or so I am looking to drill my tank and put a sump under it. As for right now that is not possible so hang on is the way I have to go. So any help at well would be muchly appreciated. Oh yeah I live in calgary don't want to spend out my a$$ for shipping so would like to stay in calgary or at most canadian sites.

Thanks Everyone.
Jenn
Old 04-27-2010, 08:32 PM

Douglas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishgirl View Post
I am just wondering can any of you tell me your thoughts on what is the best hang on the back skimmer? I am not looking to spend ALOT of money on it as at some point in the next year or so I am looking to drill my tank and put a sump under it. As for right now that is not possible so hang on is the way I have to go. So any help at well would be muchly appreciated. Oh yeah I live in calgary don't want to spend out my a$$ for shipping so would like to stay in calgary or at most canadian sites.

Thanks Everyone.
Jenn
How big is the tank?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:50 PM
bvlester

Quote:

Thanks Everyone.
Jenn
The best advise I can offer is get the best you can afford to buy, don't skimp on the skimmer.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Trocar61

Quote:

Thanks Everyone.
Jenn
I use a remora pro I love it pulls some nasty sh;;;t
Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 PM

randy123 is on a distinguished road

I agree my aqua c remora pro gives high-range performance at a mid-range price. JL has the best price on a new unit I've seen, plus free shipping
Old 04-27-2010, 09:10 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Pretty sure she has a 125g. Remora's are good hang on back skimmers. She would need an AquaC Remora Pro Protein Skimmer which are rated from 40g to 120g.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Trocar61

Ya thats what I meant...I use that one had bought it for my 90 Gallon from J&l still use it.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

If it were my tank, I wouldn't set it up until it was drilled with an internal overflow installed. You can always put plugs in the holes until you are ready to get the sump hooked up. It is risky to drill it when there is water in it, and difficult to impossible (depending on what type you want) to install an internal overflow. It really takes a lot of work to drill a tank after it has been set up. Those hang on siphon overflows are horrible, so I wouldn't even consider one of those.

If drilling it now isn't an option, I would go skimmerless until the tank gets drilled. I would also run it bare bottom and be sure to not overstock fish until the skimmer and sump are installed. Of course weekly 10-25% water changes will make a big difference too.

Imo, the Remoras aren't worth the cost for tossing them in the trash. I have owned a Remora and a Remora Pro and really think they are quite a waste of money. Imo, those people who think Remoras are good skimmers, have never had a better skimmer to compare to. Sure, they are a better skimmer than a BakPak or a SeaClone, but that doesn't take much! Imo, the only HOB skimmer worth spending money on is a Deltec.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:32 PM
bvlester

Here is my other 2 cents The over the side over flows are fine as long as you drill them and have a siphon nipple put on attach to a power head or a aqua lifter to. This will always keep any air that may accumulate in there out. If power outage happens then when power comes back on the air is siphoned out never over flows and never fails.

I went straight to a Aqua Medic Multi T1000 works great and is rated up to 250g tanks I still use it on my 110g with 40g sump. Aqua romera's are mid range skimmers and work good for the price but if you have a bit more money then go with the skimmers that are the best. An redSea, Deltec and Aqua Medic, there is another that I can not remember right now. Anyways those are the ones I would recommend unless you can not afford the price of these units I would say go for a Romera Pro. I would also say on a large tank I would definitely have a skimmer as it's a pita to do the amount of water changes that would be needed and not worth it. There has been a couple of Aqua Medics multi's come in on here in and around Calgary over the last 6 or so months do a search and see if they are still for sale. Mine take thick black smelly skim out of my tank. I have a pic on photo bucket of the stuff. In the end it is your choice and up to you as to what you get and use.

here is a link for a Red Sea Berlin:
http://www.marineandreef.com/Berlin_...p/rrs50055.htm

These skimmers have been around for a long time and have been improved most skimmers these day are based on this form of skimming. Down draft skimmers are very good at what they do.
Bill

Last edited by bvlester; 04-27-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

It's my understanding that Oceanic Corals (a Canreef vendor) will very soon be able to get the Super Reef Octo skimmers and they offer a nice XP1000 HOB skimmer (cone style even) for an okay price. I would talk to Ian....they may even have a shipping promo that would work for you.

Research them on the net...I think most people have good stuff to say about them.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.