Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 PM

chi is on a distinguished road
Default How to mix salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdobeOtoCat View Post

Nothing is more stressing when you get your new premium salt and it doesn’t mix completely. Dealing with the manufacture and then using it for the winter.
Note* in my experience, no batch of salt was perfect nor consistent. You will always have to add extras to have whichever desired parameters that you want.
Credentials: Used Instant Ocean x 2, Reef Crystals x 2, Aquavitro Salinity x 2, and H2Oceanx 1.
Elos/Salifert test kits.
Things to do before mixing the salt:
Mix the dry bucket
From flipping it upside down to using a giant stick to manually mix it. Do whatever you have to do to ensure mixing of contents that may have made its way to the bottom.
Calibrate your refractometer at the correct temperature 25C
It may seem like a pain in the butt. It is something worth doing to limit any mechanical errors.
Time to get our mix on!!
Use RO/DI water (Temperature: Cold or Room Temp, then bring it up to 25C)
Reason being, new brands like aquavitro and H2Ocean likes to use highly concentrated salt. Any calcium carbonate found in tap water and other minerals in excess will want to form precipitates. It is also important to mix it while the temperature of the water is normal or cold. Exceptions to this method is Instant Ocean, but applies to most salt that uses highly concentrated formula.
Use a closed container that is not exposed to air
My Aquavitro batch kept forming precipitates no matter which method I used. They asked me to mix it many different ways: from when it’s cold then bringing up the temperature, to adding it slowly. Well, I did all of those even before they suggested me to. However, after getting a mixing jug and just shaking it without the batch being exposed to too much air, the rest of the batch mixed clear. This may be due to the carbon dioxide in the air, then turning into carbonic acid which affects the ph, causing sadness and confusion. (been there too many times in this hobby!)
Test that batch!
I never had an issue using the salt as is. But I never had any significant growth for my livestock either. It is always good to measure the batch a few times during use: once during the first time, again when you’re half way even if the parameters are consistent. Then test for a last time when it is almost done. Heck, we can finally take that dusting test kit to good use! Remember to toss that dry salt around at least three times during use!
Adding the good stuff
The most common deviations for me amongst the batches were Magnesium, I always had to add the magnesium for all of the salt mixes. The best being H2Ocean where I only had to add mg.
Never hurt to test biweekly – Monthly
A lot of things can go wrong in a nano tank or big tanks in a course of a month with no auto dosers. Are you really sure that the levels you added into your salt will still be consistent? Or you’re not overdosing or underdosing elements? I remember that I used to over dose phosphates in a planted aquarium, it got to over 60ppm! it was off the charts. I learned my lesson and never be too lazy when it comes to these.
Final words
Sometimes you just get a crappy batch of salt...Then you have the right to hulk smash
Happy Reefing!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2014, 07:57 PM

IanWR is on a distinguished road

I hope this isn't thread hijacking, but there is no need to mix dry salt before mixing it with water, is there? Hopefully some of our elder statesmen can answer definitively.

It reminds me of the community health nurse who did our daughters first immunization who told us to make sure to shake the container of formula powder before mixing since it contains iron that can settle to the bottom. I didn't, and never seemed to find a layer of iron filings at the bottom. I guess we were lucky.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:01 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Other than using RO water I do none of the above. People worry way too much in this hobby.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWR View Post
I hope this isn't thread hijacking, but there is no need to mix dry salt before mixing it with water, is there? Hopefully some of our elder statesmen can answer definitively.
Not entirely sure what the thread is about, so can't say it's hijacking or not IMO, no, you don't need to mix dry salt before mixing. I never have, my corals are still alive.
People roll buckets, but pretty sure if you put a clear lid on the bucket and roll it, you'll see the mass of salt rolling in the bucket.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Other than using RO water I do none of the above. People worry way too much in this hobby.
Agreed on both counts.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:45 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

I agree rolling buckets and mixing dry salt is not required; that said, it is good exercise for you to do so. So mix that dry salt...get that heart rate up!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 PM

AquaPin is on a distinguished road

The only time I have seen a request to roll salt was with the large buckets of H2Ocean; it actually states to do so from settling during shipment.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:46 PM

chi is on a distinguished road

Its just a little write up that I did on another forum. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!
As for not mixing the dry portion of the salt. It really messes up consistency for some salt mixes. Especially aquavitro. I measured them when I go through each bucket and they do differ. I'm sure this wouldn't matter for people who have auto dosing. But for nano tanks that needs stability, it proves to be pretty useful to have a consistent water change :/

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPin View Post
The only time I have seen a request to roll salt was with the large buckets of H2Ocean; it actually states to do so from settling during shipment.
Please explain how "rolling" a pail will bring contents from the bottom to the top. I would think it would stay in the same vertical spot only blending the bottom withthe bottom and top.with the top
Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road

Do people actually do all that stuff? I dont even use RO/DI water...