Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road
Default MP40w Gen2 to MP40w ES Upgrade Kit

I have a MP40W, looking at the new upgrade kit. From what I can gather the only benefits are:

EcoSmart Nutrient Transport Mode (NTM) - A two phase program to promote maximum health and nutrient export, as well as increased growth for corals. Alternates between a resonant standing wave and a surge effect to stir up and export nutrients.

EcoSmart Tidal Swell Mode (TSM) - Creates a harmonic balance in your aquarium reminiscent of the changing flow conditions that would be found in nature. Flow varies from left to right, right to left, calm, and ends with a great surge.

Auto-Dim - LED’s are turned off and display knob dimmed significantly, but pump functions in its current mode. User can program how long after use before the driver enters Auto-Dim.

For $75 US, shipping and any Duties, do you think it worth it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 03-17-2010, 10:22 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

I think it also has easier methods to tune the waves and also has an on/off button. the on/off button alone is a great upgrade as you have to actually unplug the power to the current pumps to turn them off. The LEDs to show a visual feedback on the settings is good too as right now you have to squint at the tiny dial or do it by feel. All in all, I think it's a good upgrade but really some of those feature should have been in the Gen2.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:24 PM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road
Default mp40

I just ordered 2 of them from J and L yesterday. $65 introductory offer for the drivers. ( you need an mp40w and just replace the electronics box)
I'll have 2 mp40 drivers for sale as soon as the new ones come in.

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:02 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

One of the things that has bothered me with the original W drivers is how bright the damned LEDs are at night. Ok for those that hide them in their cabinet, but mine are in the open, dining room thankfully, but still a bit annoying, more so than the 'noise' many others complain about. I can deal with the motor hum, not that bad IMO. Anyhow, I like the new idea behind smaller LEDs that provide the option for you to have them dim/turn off after a given period of time.

Another good feature of the new ES drivers is their ability to show you the charge state of your battery backup, if you have one.... I don't yet, but I think I will eventually upgrade to the new drivers. The control knob looks a lot more user friendly than the pathetic little adjustment stick on the current drivers. I believe the newer drivers are better protected from accidental water ingress as well, not waterproof, but certainly look better built in the photos I've seen.