Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-06-2014, 04:31 AM

Amadod2 is on a distinguished road
Default dead copperband

So after a month my copperband died, he was eating fine….makes no sense. He was medicated and eating properly before i got him.

what are your experiences with copperbands?? and would you guys get another one or another fish if you were me? and if So what fish???
Old 12-06-2014, 05:46 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadod2 View Post
So after a month my copperband died, he was eating fine….makes no sense. He was medicated and eating properly before i got him.

what are your experiences with copperbands?? and would you guys get another one or another fish if you were me? and if So what fish???
Had the same thing happen to me, there a little tricky to keep so I now stick with hardier fish. Just picked up a Scopas Tang at Oceanic Corals the other day and he's doing great, other ones you could try are Hawkfishes, Blennies or Clowns.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:49 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Mine just died 3 weeks ago well, only I had had it for 6 years. I think it may have picked up a parasite or disease when I introduced some new fish earlier this year. I had it in my 120gal, earlier attempts at keeping them in smaller, less mature systems failed within weeks.

If you just wanted a butterfly because they're pretty there are lots of others to choose from that are easier. If you wanted one for pest control there are easier although less reef safe species to choose from as well.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 12-06-2014, 06:32 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Had mine for few months in 72 gallon with 8 other fish with no issues at all. Ate mysis aggressively, almost more so then my tang. Got fat and lazy and eventually decided to make some easy meals of my acans and had to go.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:10 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

A few searches on the net regarding Copperbands & you'll find the success rate in keeping them any longer than a few months is extremely low. A few folks have been able to keep them for years, but they are the exception. Honestly I'm not sure why LFS even bring these fish in for sale, or why some animal rights or reef conservationists haven't caused an uproar over these. Of course the above is mostly an opinion, but I also purchased one of these when I was a noob & hadn't properly researched. I was unable to get the fish to eat & was obliged to watch as it slowly starved to death despite my best efforts to find something it would eat. Needless to say, I learned that lesson & will never buy another, despite the fact that they are one of the most strikingly beautiful fish offered in the hobby.

With regard to what fish to replace it with, this will depend on what other livestock you have in the tank. Some critters get along, many don't, so make sure you do your homework in that regard prior to making another purchase.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:20 PM

reefwithareefer is on a distinguished road

How was it captured for export?
My understanding is that how it is caught makes a big difference on how long it may survive.

Some fish are net caught, which is the best way. The other way is with cyanide, which stuns the fish. The cyanide can produce adverse side effects to the fish for a month or two, causing it to die.

Not saying this was the issue. but a lil research may help you determine if this is why it died.

To me, it is important to support a LFS that only sells net caught fish, or at least advises you, so you can make a choice. They are a little more money, but the right thing to do, in my opinion.

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-excl...rium-fish.aspx
Old 12-06-2014, 10:38 PM

Amadod2 is on a distinguished road

im not sure, its just said to see one of my fishes go, we all do our best to keep these guys in a healthy environment, i would love to get another one, but it seems theres a very low success rate, i thought i could keep it for longer then a month
Old 12-07-2014, 02:13 AM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy
Default Lucky

Hey Amadod, sorry for your loss man! Believe me, I know how it sucks to lose fish. I got one last year (my first copperband ever), put him through PraziPro, Cupramine, etc. 6 weeks later he was in my DT. He is still a finicky eater, I have to hand feed him every day. But he lived through a tank transfer and a tank crash that killed 3 other fish. I think I am lucky. He is my pride and joy....