Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-10-2012, 01:25 AM

FWC is on a distinguished road
Default Whats wrong with my efflo ??

So over the past few weeks my efflo has been going down hill.

Its been sending out stress slime ,and its polyps have been extending less and less. Now there are little white areas on it.

What is wrong with it ,and how do I fix it ??

Its the purpleish brown one.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Need all tank parameters, lighting, age of bulbs, how long have you had the piece, has it grown during that time, have polyps been out, type of flow hitting it.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:38 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Also what kind of white spots and how small are we talking about? How are the other acros?

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 09-10-2012, 02:05 AM

Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 0
pH: I'll test for it tomorrow.

Salinity is at 2.025

Running dual T5's ,bulbs are hagen brand ,and about 8 months old (Ya ,its time for a change)

I've had the efflo for a good 5 months at least ,yes ,it has grown a bit since I got it ,had killer polyp extension up until a few weeks ago .I have a 425 gph powerhead near it.

The sps around it is all doing fine ,its just the efflo and a peice of acro growing on the other side of the tank. It looks similar ,however it is smaller on the acro.

The spots look like the tissue is damaged/ripping off. Also their pretty small :P

Could it perhaps be emerald crabs ?? I only put them in a few weeks ago (the tissue damage started to show around that time) I dunno. I just really want this efflo to live.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:08 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

If it were mine, I'd do a reasonable(not too big) water change and replace the bulbs. Make sure there is no direct flow hitting it. Probably not the crabs.

Ca and alk levels would help too
Old 09-10-2012, 02:15 AM

Ya ,I have hanna testers for alk and Ca ,but I don't really have the RO water to use with them

However a water and bulb change are quite do-able.

Its not under direct flow ,and has done quite well and the spot until now ,so I'm stumped as to what it might be.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Just a guy..

I have a coral that would fade over a couple of days when the bulbs needed changing. Could be that. Start there, see if it helps. Don't over expose it, and don't change too much water, the coral is compromised, so nothing drastic
Old 09-10-2012, 01:19 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWC View Post
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 0
pH: I'll test for it tomorrow.

Salinity is at 2.025

Running dual T5's ,bulbs are hagen brand ,and about 8 months old (Ya ,its time for a change)

I've had the efflo for a good 5 months at least ,yes ,it has grown a bit since I got it ,had killer polyp extension up until a few weeks ago .I have a 425 gph powerhead near it.

The sps around it is all doing fine ,its just the efflo and a peice of acro growing on the other side of the tank. It looks similar ,however it is smaller on the acro.

The spots look like the tissue is damaged/ripping off. Also their pretty small :P

Could it perhaps be emerald crabs ?? I only put them in a few weeks ago (the tissue damage started to show around that time) I dunno. I just really want this efflo to live.
The sps around it also look in poor condition from what i can tell. Perhaps something or things aren't quite right for sps success.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
The sps around it also look in poor condition from what i can tell. Perhaps something or things aren't quite right for sps success.
Agreed.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:52 PM

dreef is on a distinguished road

When i see tip damage on my sps,i have found that my mag was to low..below a 1000.Got the mag up to 1400 and the tips healed and everything started growing again.