Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-01-2011, 07:33 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough
Default Canreef couples are you or aren't you/easier or harder when you're both addicted?

In light of recent events Doug and I thought this might be interesting and fun to know.

So we're just curious as to who all is a devoted/addicted saltwater couple here on canreef; meaning both you and your significant other are actively involved in the hobby.

Also do you think it makes it easier or harder when you both are fairly equally knowledgeable and addicted. (FYI if your S.O. isn't in the hobby feel free to share if you think it would be easier if they were or if you're glad they're not.)

Out of the two of you who would you say is more addicted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start Doug (fishytime) and I are a couple, who are both very involved in the hobby.

In some ways it's easier since he supports me in the hobby but on the other hand because he's knowledgeable I could never get away with saying something like "What that bubble king skimmer......it's fairly cheep" He also doesn't let me impulse buy (which is a good thing) and he keeps me in check to insure I'm not adding to much at once and offers his advice/opinion as to weather or not it's a good idea to have "this or that" in my tank. I also could never sneak in anything because he would notice.....but odds are I wont have to sneak in anything so that's a bonus (although I kinda wish I had of sneaked out with his cool urchin from his tank during my last visit )

As for who's more addicted......... We're both fairly bad so it's hard to say but maybe he's worse then I am.......although when my tank crashed I never considered shutting it all down and not having a tank up and running, whereas I and other members talked him into keeping his going when his crashed and he wanted to shut it all down. However he did suffer quite a loss with V1 so I can see how it would be hard to want to come back from that....

So now that I've shared it's others turns

Last edited by fishoholic; 05-02-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 PM

sgreen is on a distinguished road

Addicted...we both are If one is more than the other..not sure!!!
Susan and Jim
We started this hobby together and have enjoyed it so much we went from our first set up of 150g followed by a 90g, 55g, a 35g and lastly, a 265g that is not currently set up yet. Not sure who is addicted the most, but we have certainly enjoyed the adventure. We both have our own preferences but that is ok as we have many tanks to work with. We do not have to sneak anything in to the tanks this way, and by both being involved it makes it easier to pick up the things we want without too much of a hassle.

As a side note coming from Susan: Jim has always been interested in aquariums especially saltwater but up until recently wasn't able to enjoy the hobby. He talked about it often but that was as far as it went. Myself, I have been some what interested in either FW or SW but never really gave much thought to actually having a SW set up until Jim finally wanted to make the plunge. I think that Jim is more knowledgeable about different things involving the saltwater/marine aquarium than myself. Thankfully, because I always ask him what he thinks about whatever for which ever aquarium. Also, this being a big PLUS...through this hobby we have been able to, as a couple, get out and meet many new and interesting people who have helped us a great deal.

As the saying goes, which has been especially true for us lol...you can't jump in the water with one foot in and one foot out!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:27 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
In light of recent events Doug and I thought this might be interesting and fun to know.

So we're just curious as to who all is a devoted/addicted saltwater couple here on canreef; meaning both you and your significant other are actively involved in the hobby.

Also do you think it makes it easier or harder when you both are fairly equally knowledgeable and addicted. (FYI if your S.O. isn't in the hobby feel free to share if you think it would be easier if they were or if you're glad they're not.)

Out of the two of you who would you say is more addicted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start Doug (fishytime) and I are a couple, who are both very involved in the hobby.

In some ways it's easier since he supports me in the hobby but on the other hand because he's knowledgeable I could never get away with saying something like "What that bubble king skimmer......it's fairly cheep" He also doesn't let me impulse buy (which is a good thing) and he keeps me in check to insure I'm not adding to much at once and offers his advice/opinion as to weather or not it's a good idea to have "this or that" in my tank. I also could never sneak in anything because he would notice.....but odds are I wont have to sneak in anything so that's a bonus (although I kinda wish I had of sneaked out with his cool urchin from his tank during my last visit )

As for who's more addicted......... We're both fairly bad so it's hard to say but maybe he's worse then I am.......although when my tank crashed I never considered shutting it all down and not having a tank up and running, whereas I and other members talked him into keeping his going when his crashed and he wanted to shut it all down. However he did suffer quite a loss with V1 so I can see how it would be hard to want to come back from that....

So now that I've shared it's others turns

Oh Really you and Doug are a Couple I would have never know by the posts that you guys put here.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
Oh Really you and Doug are a Couple I would have never know by the posts that you guys put here.

I think most people know that....but we were wondering about how many others there were and if it makes it easier or harder. I think as long as the couple agrees with what fish/corals to add it makes it easier. It's when you constantly fight over what to add or not is when problems arise. Very glad Doug is an agreeable guy
Old 05-02-2011, 12:29 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

All alone in my addiction here, the wife love to look at the tanks but hates going shopping of SW related items. She also does not like it when I spend alot of cash on the tanks without informing her.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 05-02-2011, 12:44 AM

ALang is on a distinguished road

Well... I don't really have anything to add, except that I'm jealous that both you and your SO are in this hobby together.
When you're in this very expensive and very time-consuming hobby alone, and you're doing significantly well, your SO doesn't notice or if you point it out to him, he'll shrug and says, "well, you do spend a lot of time and money on this." He has NO idea what it takes to be successful in this hobby.
When you NEED some VERY expensive equipment to make your life easier, or to take you to the next level of the hobby, you're on your own. That's why my tank is mostly hobbled together from left-overs and lots of buys that you later on KNEW that you should have waited, etc...
I could go on for pages! So. I'm jealous!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:39 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

All alone here, and i mean all alone. My wife doesnt even care if the tank is there. She only likes on fish but couldnt care less if it dissapeared. Its taking up space in the living room instead of being a fishtank. And thats a 20 gal. Try asking for a 200 gal tank in the living room. It just gets a laugh. I hate asking if i can buy things because its not a big deal but its still a whatever answer. Makes it more difficult for sure. Your excited about something neat in a tank or a new coral and its never shared. Wives and husbands dont have to share in everything but in the days of people working longer hours and seeing co-workers more then there S.O.'s sometimes sharing a hobby would be nice.

"Nah, unless they got any big, giant robot camels I think were ok."

"Ah.....Jim.......robot camels"
Old 05-02-2011, 03:08 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

My wife shares in the neatness and the growth and the little intricicies of each life form in the aquarium, but as far as the technical stuff and equipment, she could care less. I don't spend a lot of time on the maintenance aspect, but we do often sit in front of the aquarium together looking for new stuff and neat behaviours of the fish or new growth patterns of the corals. As far as buying stuff, I really don't buy much for the aquarium anymore, but if I do, I don't really have to ask. I do have the courtesy to let her know that I've purchased the item and let her know the cost of it, but she knows that I'm not an out-of-control type of hobbiest. So I guess we do get to share in the actual point of the hobby and that is the final display.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:19 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

its a tough one to answer......its cool that we share a common interest and after all the hobby is how Laurie and I met.......but we both have very different ideas on how to do a tank and stock it and such.....it would definitely be a multiple tank household methinks......which could and would be very expensive...... its very cool to able to both go and spend a day driving around to the LFSs and both enjoy it and consider it time well spent.....on the other hand it usually ends up meaning a bunch of money spent.....all in all I consider myself lucky to have found someone that shares in my passion for the hobby................even if it means we'll probably be broke because of it......now as for who's more addicted???????not sure about that one......Laurie's heavily addicted to fish.....and Im addicted to it all
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 05-02-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Laurie's heavily addicted to fish.....
Yes I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
and Im addicted to it all
You forgot to add "to it all and then some"