Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 05-07-2011, 06:27 PM

lee9 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to lee9
Default Flame Angelfish Fin Notch

Any thoughts on if this is a concern? I just noticed a notch in the tail of my Flame Angelfish yesterday. She doesn't appear to have any other issues.

She always eats fine and is very active. I have had her for ~ 8 weeks in my 28 gallon cube. The tank has been setup for ~ 11 weeks. The only thing I have in the tank that has the ability to nip at anythng is a Tiger Pistol Shrimp but it usually hangs out in it's burrow with the Watchman Goby and doesn't bother anything.

She's fast so it's tough for me to get a good closeup pic.

Last edited by lee9; 08-09-2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:28 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

no worries man.....It'll grow back.....my guess would be the little blue bugger in the pic caused the nick......
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 05-08-2011, 07:02 PM

Thanks Doug! I didn't really think it was anything to be too concerned with but I just wanted to check to see what someone else though

Yeah, it's a bit aggressive but it doesn't normally bother the Flame Angel. Usally the Angel chases it around a little bit. The Damsel usually picks on the clowns a bit.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:02 PM

George is on a distinguished road

8 weeks in your tank and the tank has been set up for 11 weeks? So that means you put the fish in the tank after 3 weeks of setting up the tank, correct? That may be too soon to add a fish.
Check your ammonia. High level of ammonia may cause rot fin. Some other things may also cause rot fin, like bacteria or parasite like ich. the latter two may not be as deadly as ammonia.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:54 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

+1 to Fishytime post. More likely the Chrysiptera springeri did the damage.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
8 weeks in your tank and the tank has been set up for 11 weeks? So that means you put the fish in the tank after 3 weeks of setting up the tank, correct? That may be too soon to add a fish.
Check your ammonia. High level of ammonia may cause rot fin. Some other things may also cause rot fin, like bacteria or parasite like ich. the latter two may not be as deadly as ammonia.
Thanks George, I appreciate the feedback as I am new to the hobby. Yes, I did put my first fish in after 3 weeks. I used live sand, fully cured live rock and supplements though to cycle the tank quicker. I test my water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, salinity, pH, KH, calicium and DO twice weekly as well so I'm pretty sure it's not an ammonia problem. My ammonia and nitrites have been at zero for a long time. I'll keep an eye on the fish though.

Thanks as well TimT.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:41 AM

frd72 is on a distinguished road

looks like you cycle your tank using blue damsel?
their small but so aggressive..with the fish she's going to be fine.. i have 4 tangs in a 75 gal and torn fins are normal.