Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-01-2013, 11:05 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road
Default Vortech Mp40?

So I have a 50 gallon bowfront tank with two fluval sea 740 kph power heads. Although they do create more than enough current in the tank its not very controllable and is pretty constant. My question is this, what are the best power heads on the market and why? all my research leads to the vortech mp40 or mp10. If that is the general consensus would i need a mp40 for a 50 gallon? any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 PM

Din Gior is on a distinguished road

I'd say two Jebao WP25. mp40 is too noisy and too much flow for 50 gallon. Only advantage of the mp10 is wireless sync between powerheads.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:42 PM

what are the pros and cons to the Jebao WP25 compared to the mp 10 then? I deff dont want a noisy power head. I have heard the jebao is a "knock-off" tunze powerhead? thanks for your input
Old 08-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

The vortechs is a love hate powerhead, some people love them some hate them....

The pros of vortech: pump sits outside so less heat in your tank, less obstruction of view inside your tank because only the impeller sits inside, wide flow

The cons: since the pump sits outside it makes more noise, mp10 has a whine to it, mp40 more like a electric scooter. Some people go crazy from the noise for me I don't hear them.

Do you need a $500 powerhead? That's up to how much you can justify spending. I love mine and don't regret buying it, because of all listed above it suits my needs. I had tunze before and for me less mechanical in the tank is better.

If the powerhead is fine in your tank now why change it? I am running sps so I need more flow, there are cheaper controllable powerheads on the market now like the jebao wp40 and they're money we'll spent, I am even considering upgrading my mp10 for one....

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 08-01-2013, 11:46 PM

Once again tang thanks for your input. much appreciated.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:44 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I have 3 MP40WES on my 77 gal and am very pleased. Purchased the 1st one new years ago, it was a Gen 1 which I've updated to latest config. The other two I got used over the next several years to mitigate the hit in the wallet. The sound could be an issue, but doesn't bother me. My tank is not in the bedroom & there are plenty of other ambient sounds that make the VorTechs running blend into the background.

If you go on the EcoTech web site you can download the manuals & instructions for all their pumps. They also have instructional videos. This will give you a good idea of what multiple wireless VorTechs are capable of in your tank. I don't think there's anything out there yet that provides the flow flexibility & features of the VorTechs. Sure the Jebaos are much less costly, but you'll get next to no service & not sure there's a web site where you can check out the instructions.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:45 AM

thanks appreciate the info!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:12 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I've got 2 MP60s and 2 MP40s on a 6'x3' tank. The MP60s are extreme overkill and are turned down to the max speed of what is probably close to an MP40, so I definitely could have done this tank with 4 MP40s. So in your case I would agree than an MP40 might be a bit of overkill. However, the best part about those pumps is that if it is overkill, you can turn their max speed down, and increase it as coral growth begins to impede water movement, so if I were you I'd be tempted to still go with an MP40 only because of it's versatility in future applications.

Never tried the Jaebo or the Tunze. Always been interested to do it though, maybe on a future tank. I just really appreciate the low in tank profile of the vortech's.

Also, as for the Jaebo's being knockoffs - who cares. If they do the same thing for less money, they're a clear winner.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:22 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

+1 on turning the mp40's down ,thats the nice thing about them. I have two in my 90 gallon and never hear them , and my tank is in my bedroom ,8 feet from my pillow lol. They only run at about 40% mind you. Everyone seems to be happy with the Jebao pumps , and I may try one , but I love the look of no wires in the tank.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:26 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

My 5 cents

An MP40 is a lot of pump for a 50g
I use 2 x MP10s in my 75g, with no other pumps besides my return

I've heard others' MP10s and MP40s and decided the 10s were for me as the 40s are too loud for my liking, even listening to the ones in the LFS that were both new and older

Maybe a pair of 10s would better suit your needs if you went wireless