Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-22-2013, 12:35 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road
Default EcoTech battery backup

Anyone know where I can pick one of these up in stock in Calgary? I know I know, shame on me for not having one, but the news keeps warning of possible power outages and I don't want to toast my tank. My Neighbourhood is literally on the edge of the flooding (but safely up a hill thank god), so if they have to turn off power to more communities along the Bow there's a good chance we'll lose ours too.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:38 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
Anyone know where I can pick one of these up in stock in Calgary? I know I know, shame on me for not having one, but the news keeps warning of possible power outages and I don't want to toast my tank. My Neighbourhood is literally on the edge of the flooding (but safely up a hill thank god), so if they have to turn off power to more communities along the Bow there's a good chance we'll lose ours too.
Pisces and concept are the two places I think would have the backup battery pack.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 06-22-2013, 02:07 AM

Alberta-newb is on a distinguished road

If you are in a panic, I believe you can use a 12v battery, just need to find a correct plug. Remember reading about it on RC (that "other" forum). I think the Vortech backup is 12v as well and operates the pumps at half speed

Last edited by Alberta-newb; 06-22-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:32 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Hey Adam, if you're not already out buying one, you can make your own
I made mine for less than $100 and when the battery craps out, it's only about $60 for a replacement instead of a new Ecotech one for $190

If you can't find the factory Ecotech cables, all you need is a 1.3mm x 3.5mm male connector and 2A fuse per pump

I bought a 12v trickle/battery minder charger and a 12v battery with 18ah (amp hours)
I should get 36 hours run time on 2 MP10s

I posted a simple DIY here

If anyone does use a 12v battery in a pinch, make sure you use a fuse inline so you don't run the risk of cooking your controller
Old 06-22-2013, 02:54 AM

04V10 is on a distinguished road

Or pick up a generator. They are on sale at crappy tire, and for your power needs, you coud get a small one for cheap!
Old 06-22-2013, 03:39 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Greg I'm going to check out making mine own tomorrow, thanks! Fingers crossed we have power all night.

If it ends up being too hard to source the parts in one day I might just get a generator. In a worst case scenario I'd like to keep the pump on my bio pellet reactor running as well, it's the backbone of my nutrient management program and letting it go anoxic and die would lead to weeks of pain.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:51 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

If you're considering a diy battery backup for your VorTechs, you can actually go one better than the 12 volt version. You'll need two 12 volt batteries. Hook them up in series for 24 volts & wire up a connector of the normal size to your VorTech controller. You will then be able to run the pumps at fulll speed. The only down side to this is that you need to be around to hook this up, it won't work automatically as when you use the 12 volt back up connection on the controller. But in cases like this, when you're home to hook it up, automation is secondary to having full control of your pumps.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:13 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Hope it works out for you Adam
Any questions about your DIY, just send me a PM

Mike, thanks for the tip
Old 06-22-2013, 04:46 AM

apexifd is on a distinguished road

I used this and a car battery.

100 watt isn't alot of power but it's enough to power your powerhead, and you can charge your iphone and surf canreef at the same time.

when the car battery is starting to run low, just put it back in the car and drive around for few hours to recharge it.

purple tang, sohal tang, yellow eye kole tang, fairy wrasse. cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and misc fish.

GHL Mitras 6200HV X 2, MP40 X 2, MP60 X 1, tunze 6095 X 2, Vertex RX6 calcium reactor, Bubble King SM250, Aquamaxx bio pellets reactor, Profilux 3
Old 06-23-2013, 04:16 PM

jagermaier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
You can order one from J&L Aquatics with free shipping to your door if you don't need it immediately.