Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 06-23-2013, 06:59 AM
Salt Poller

r212019 is on a distinguished road
Default LF: Biocube 29 or JBJ 24 or RSM 130

I'm looking to start a SW tank with anyone one of the three tanks listed above. I would prefer a tank with upgraded LED's and the tank needs to be complete with pump/filter, heater, LED's and a wavemaker. I'm new to SW tanks and I hoping to get something that will be easy to get up and running.

I'm hoping to get a tank and have the water cycling by the first week in July.

I'm not looking to spend more than $400. I went to J and L Aquatics and I can get a Biocube29 with stand for about $420 plus taxes.

Email me pictures, what you are selling, what upg's you have done to the tank, if any, and how much you are expecting.

Daryl.cromie@gmail.com
Old 06-23-2013, 02:04 PM

Jaybone is on a distinguished road

$420 really? Good luck if you get with price brand new with the stand? Lol
Old 06-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Salt Poller

J and L aquatics sells the Biocube 29 non HQI version for $309 plus taxes so Im not sure why u think this is so strange

They so sell the stand for $150 but the Tank is only $309 plus taxes

Last edited by r212019; 06-23-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:58 PM

Jaybone is on a distinguished road

"Just saying" nothing strange of what i said. Your looking for something with led with wave maker under $400 like i said goodluck.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Salt Poller

Well I'm open to lots of stuff. It's doesn't have to have all of these things. I'm new to SW tanks so I don't really know how much everything costs. I just don't want to spend much more than $400.

With the Biocube tanks, do I need a wave maker or is it built in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybone View Post
"Just saying" nothing strange of what i said. Your looking for something with led with wave maker under $400 like i said goodluck.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by r212019 View Post
Well I'm open to lots of stuff. It's doesn't have to have all of these things. I'm new to SW tanks so I don't really know how much everything costs. I just don't want to spend much more than $400.

With the Biocube tanks, do I need a wave maker or is it built in?

I think what Jaybone is trying to say is that this is a very expensive hobby. Honestly you are not going to get much for $400. Also, in my opinion, the BioCube system is probably not the best place for a newbie to start. It's way too small and you're going to have one hell of a time keeping your water perameters in check. Plus... of all the biocube systems I've seen, people are always upgrading them because they are lacking in lighting and filtration.... and it doesn't have a 'wave maker' built in. I would suggest you start with a larger system (60-100gal) with a sump below, or you could have a Hang-on-the-back fuge and skimmer as HOB equipment has come a long way over the last decade. I would think, on the low end, it will cost you over $1000 to have a cheap setup. But cheap is gunna bite you in the butt down the road. I am building my first salt system after having LOTS of freshwater and I am budgeting $4000 on a 65gal tank.... and that is not including livestock.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Salt Poller

I understand that it is an expensive hobby that it why I am trying to buy stuff used. It seems that you can pick up most stuff needed from people getting
Out of the hobby or jut looking to upg an this is usually at a subsidized cost. Sometime even below half of the original cost. It's not like aquarium stuff is so hot that Its flying off the shelves so buying used stuff should lower my cost. I appreciate your input thought. Thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 02:39 AM

sirruckus is on a distinguished road

I almost had a heart attack when I dished out 500 bucks for a tank and stand alone going from fresh water to a 90 gallon salt water, thinking it would be no more than 1000 bucks - $4000 later (not even a year) you learn fast.

you can do it cheap, slow, and likely painful - or hold off until you can do things right, probably expensive, but make it enjoyable.

some people find enjoyment alone in trying to get good deals - perhaps thats your cup of tea.

also is J&L having a sale or these? I see they are 519.00 for the 29 gallon model without a stand
Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

I don't know why this demoralization but not everyone is ready for "big" tank. Many long term hobbyist proceeded to big tank gradually as they gained knowledge and maturity in this hobby. Alongside, looking at someone's tank and thinking "man thats sooooo cool I should have it", cashing thousands of $$$$ only to find that the hobby doesn't suit his/her need would be awesome right? Yes, go big!!!!! But be 1000000000000000% sure you can keep it "properly". A big tank will not be "automatically" stable by itself, you will have to make it. With effort. You just get more room for error with bigger tank than with smaller tank but with proper knowledge, makes little to absolutely no difference.

And about the $400 budget. I replied to your last thread about it that I started my old 20 gallon tank with just $200. I don't know why its a "LOL" or "best of luck" matter. Just a heads up, I even didn't start it with 2nd hand stuffs. Let me do a quick breakdown for you:

1. 20 gallon tank = $50
2. LR (20lb) = $100
3. Powerhead = $20
4. Sand = $20
5. Light = $100
6. Filter = $80
7. Test kit = $30
8. Heater = $20

There you go, $420 (sorry for the extra $20) for all the equipment you need to start a reef! Not everyone needs fancy mp powerheads, LEDs, controller and other fancy stuffs to get a proper tank running.

To OP: Get the led off the chart unless you get some freaking good deal which do happen from time to time. You just have to be here at the right time

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 06-24-2013, 02:59 AM

Mandosh is on a distinguished road

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98291