Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-04-2013, 04:18 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default Does rental insurance cover aquarium water damage?

Ok so apparently, my landlord told me that I can't keep my tank and the reason behind that (I came to know from him) is that his home insurance doesn't have flood coverage. He had a flood damage in 2006 on the top floor possibly by a pipe and after than his insurance doesn't cover it any more. Can it be like that? Is it like he is skipping the premium and hence he is not getting the coverage?

Anyway, I am thinking of trying to negotiate with him with rental insurance. But I am getting mixed reviews about it. Some say that rental can cover flood damage "to the house" due to aquarium but won't cover aquarium components itself while others say that's total BS and rental insurance can only cover damage to the person's belongings and water damage is home insurance's headache.

Now I am very very VERY unfamiliar with insurance and stuffs and I am afraid of the thing called "fine prints" So if someone can help me out with this before I make the move, I can have stronger points than just relying on random claims.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 05-04-2013, 04:32 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Best place to find out is through your insurance company. I checked with mine and I am covered if my tank goes. What's covered as far as the tank is concerned is the tank, depending on circumstances...not covered if someone smashes it, covered if it just fails. Equipment is covered, livestock is not. All damage caused by the water is covered. I own my home, but you can buy the insurance that fits you as a renter.

A commercial landlord most always states they are named as an additional insured on a tenants certificate. Not sure on the residential side but doesn't hurt to ask.

You are buying a product and it can be tailored to you. If you in looking for bare minimum, that's what you'll get. My insurance guy is awesome, I've been with his co since the mid 90's, have my house, rv, my car and daughters car with him. If you want his name I can send it to you.

Last edited by Coralgurl; 05-04-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:39 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

If you're in an apartment or condo , you also have to make sure you have 3rd party liability coverage , so you're covered if the water leaks through the floor and does damage to the neighbour below. My home insurance covers both