Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-27-2013, 10:50 PM

SharkBait48 is on a distinguished road
Default Ich aftermath... what to do now?

Hey guys so I went through ich it killed over half my population...
nut now I am looking into the tank lately and the remainder of the fish seem like they are happy and healthy.
it has been about a week since any noticeable spots have been on the fish.

my question is now how long do I have to wait or what do I need to do to repopulate and make a healthier tank than before?

thanks
Old 04-27-2013, 10:54 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Just wait and let fish regain strength.

How many fish in what size of tank?
It could have been a sick fish or stress related. Find out why and fix the problem.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 PM

SharkBait48 is on a distinguished road

its a 75 gal with 30 gal sump
I have a foxface
ln hawkfish
diamond goby
lubbocks wrasse

they are all seemingly healthy, I added a tang and that's what killed everything off...
Old 04-27-2013, 10:59 PM

George is on a distinguished road

This may not be what you would like to hear but ich is still in your tank. Ich just doesn't go away by itself without any treatment while you still have fish in there. I would suggest you move all your fish to a QT tank and treat them there with a proven method. Let DT fallow (fishless) for 12+ weeks.
Good luck!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:08 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Just keep the fishes in a healthy environment.....that's all. Feed them food dipped in garlic and clean water and the ich won't stand a chance against the fishes immune system. No stress + good food in garlic keeps the ich away

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

You could just leave tank as is for now. Let fish regain health and like raeid said immune system will do the rest

Or strict qt but that's not in my future
Old 04-28-2013, 12:58 AM

monza is on a distinguished road

For sure you could leave them, you might not see 'signs' of Ich, feed them garlic or what ever miracle cure you want but that's not how to treat Ich. I suggest you read up on Ich and make your own choice, roll the dice and wait until the next time you wipe out your fish unnecessarily or do what is proven to kill Ich. Leaving them now sure is a lot easier then fallow tanks and QT for sure.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:11 AM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Ich is far from the end of the world. Weak fish will die for varying reasons as do seemingly healthy fish. Sure round them up and freak the lot of them out by putting them in a stressful situation/tank rather than the surroundings they are use to. Move forward with the fish you have, in the tank they are in. Feed as the others said and ignore the dooms day prognosticators.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:02 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Garlic Extract. Raeid is right on track. IMO removing them all will just cause a whole lot more stress and before you know it there's Ick in your quarantine. Not chunks of garlic. Kent Garlic Extreme is good stuff. I've heard you can get garlic extract at health food stores but I have not checked. Probably way cheaper.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:04 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Garlic Extract. Raeid is right on track. IMO removing them all will just cause a whole lot more stress and before you know it there's Ick in your quarantine. Not chunks of garlic. Kent Garlic Extreme is good stuff. I've heard you can get garlic extract at health food stores but I have not checked. Probably way cheaper.
actually its the other way around....the medicinal ingredient in garlic is allicin....the compound breaks down very quickly reducing the effectiveness....if you want the medicinal qualities, fresh garlic is the best way....garlic extracts are more of an appetite stimulant....it smells good....
http://www.ehow.com/about_5262161_an...in-garlic.html
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694