Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-10-2013, 09:05 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road
Default First fish vs power head

So I turned of my pumps/power heads to to feed my tank and didnt realise this little bugger found his way into my power head and turned it on!!! I quickly turned it off right away when I saw something colorful in the power head. It was my very first fish tht I got 4 days ago!!! I quickly opened the power head n he bolted out but I did get a good look at him n he looked pretty beat up. But I didn't see any blood or parts missing. He's now just hiding in one of my live rock but seems alive for now. Should I take him out n use melafix on him in a seperate tank or let him be? Here is a pic of him in all his glory!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason604 View Post
So I turned of my pumps/power heads to to feed my tank and didnt realise this little bugger found his way into my power head and turned it on!!! I quickly turned it off right away when I saw something colorful in the power head. It was my very first fish tht I got 4 days ago!!! I quickly opened the power head n he bolted out but I did get a good look at him n he looked pretty beat up. But I didn't see any blood or parts missing. He's now just hiding in one of my live rock but seems alive for now. Should I take him out n use melafix on him in a seperate tank or let him be? Here is a pic of him in all his glory!

[/IMG]
That's very common, sadly.. Did your powerhead not come with a grill to cover the front? Also, is there a specific need for you to shut off your powerhead during feeding?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:45 PM

Yes it did come with a grill but I guess the fish was able to slip through it somehow. I turn odd my power head cuz it was blowing the brine shrimp food everywhere and I was thinking the snails crabs and shrimps were not able to catch it floating around in the water.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 PM

allie_san is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason604 View Post
Yes it did come with a grill but I guess the fish was able to slip through it somehow. I turn odd my power head cuz it was blowing the brine shrimp food everywhere and I was thinking the snails crabs and shrimps were not able to catch it floating around in the water.
As soon as my powerheads go off my blenny is right inside them eating the algae.. I'm afraid one day I might forget he's in there.
I've been finding letting it the food blow all over gets the fish in eating mode.. Screw the crabs, they'll find food. Even my jawfish comes out of his burrow and all the way across the tank now. Hehe
Old 04-10-2013, 10:54 PM

ckmullin is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the little guy is just freaked out...I'm sure it'll survive.

Reminds me of that old joke...Whats red and white 100 mph... A frog in a blender.
(never said it was a good joke! lol)
Old 04-11-2013, 12:01 AM

I found him now hiding under a rock seems like each time he moves away from the rock he just keeps on spinning and rotating in a odd way that fishes don't do. I was able to catch a few pics. Should I put him out of his misery? Quarantine n medicate? Or let him be. I can't really tell but It may look like he's missing a piece of meat from his belly. Poor guy

Old 04-11-2013, 12:40 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

If you have a quarantine tank I'd put it in there to see if it will heal
Old 04-11-2013, 01:11 AM

ckmullin is on a distinguished road

wow....looks like he is hurt. are there noticeable spots on the skin which look red as if bruised?
Old 04-11-2013, 02:44 AM

He didn't make it. Went to fishy heaven now =( after taking out his corpse there was a chunk of meat missing from his belly. MAKE SURE YOU GUYS CHECK UR POWERHEADS BEFORE STARTING IT!!! Don't want this to happen again!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:13 AM

slakker is on a distinguished road

One of the reasons why I never turn off pumps or powerheads when feeding...