Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-08-2013, 07:58 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road
Default Noobie needing tips

Hi there I'm planning to get my first saltwater aquarium set up and I have a few questions. I'm most likely planning to get a pre-owned set up about 75+ gal with hopefully led lights as I am having coral. I'm from Vancouver so I'm wondering would I need to also get a chiller or will the led light not make it that hot during summer compared to a MH light? Do I need a sump and what is it for? If I get used live rock/coral/ fish if possible do I have to do anything to them first to disinfect them just in case previous owner had bad things living on them? Also if I end up buying live rock that's been out of the water for a long time would they come alive again? Can I add fish and coral right away if live rock is established but totally new salt water?

Sorry for all the noob questions but I want to get everything right the first time so I won't have to make horrible mistakes n lose massive $$ and time. Thanks in advance
Old 03-08-2013, 10:50 AM

Fort is on a distinguished road
Default I will try an answer as many as possible

How long have you been in the fish keeping hobby? Salt water can be difficult for the new Aquarist. It sounds like you need to goggle and do some reading, especially on what a sump helps with. There is tons of information all over the net on this subject.
Getting a pre owned tank set up is a good idea you can often find full set ups for a lot cheaper then store bought items. Buying a chiller some say might be necessary really it depends on your set up, whether getting natural sun light, does your residence get extremely hot in the summer.
If you purchase cured live rock you can add fish right away but usually best to wait a day or so and test for Ammonia levels. I don't recommend you add coral, coral is for experienced hobbyists only.
As for the dead rock, if you clean off old live rock and add one piece of cured live rock, the organisms on the cured rock should spread and bring life to the dead rock. The same can happen with sand.
Start with fish only system and give it 8 months or so and see how you do before trying a reef tank. It is a very expensive hobby if one fish gets sick and spreads the disease around.
From your list of questions it sounds like you have a lot of reading ahead of you if you truly want to do it right.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:08 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason604 View Post
Hi there I'm planning to get my first saltwater aquarium set up and I have a few questions. I'm most likely planning to get a pre-owned set up about 75+ gal with hopefully led lights as I am having coral. I'm from Vancouver so I'm wondering would I need to also get a chiller or will the led light not make it that hot during summer compared to a MH light? Do I need a sump and what is it for? If I get used live rock/coral/ fish if possible do I have to do anything to them first to disinfect them just in case previous owner had bad things living on them? Also if I end up buying live rock that's been out of the water for a long time would they come alive again? Can I add fish and coral right away if live rock is established but totally new salt water?

Sorry for all the noob questions but I want to get everything right the first time so I won't have to make horrible mistakes n lose massive $$ and time. Thanks in advance
Welcome to Canreef. Ill try to help but there lots of info and experienced people here. Don't rush. That will cost you
A sump holds all your unsightly equip, plus a fuge and more rock for bacterial filtration.
I would suggest you start with a fish only tank and add corals as your tank matures so you can learn to understand water parameters and how they affect the tank. If you start with a tank full of coral and not understanding how you tank works and what the params mean you will end up with tank full of deadness

Live rock that is out of water for a long time is now dead rock and full of dead organics. It needs to be "cooked" to rid of the organics. ( soaking in water to pull nutrients out)
Even a established tank can give you problems after a move as it gets all stirred up. So

Buy a tank sump and stand that you like. Set it up with desired rock and sand.
Buy your lights what ever you choose. There are benifits and drawback to each
A good skimmer and media reactors will need to come.
IMO buying cheap equipment will cost more in long run so reaserch before you buy

Look in to carbon dosing of some sort

Fish should be quarantine to treat for parasites before adding to DT
Coral can be dipped with coral rx, revive to rid pest

Read read read and lots of Q's if it wasn't for Canreef I wouldn't be in the hobby anymore.

Oh and plan on being broke. Lol
Old 03-08-2013, 12:09 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

No you won't need a chiller, do not put your tank in direct sunlight. No do not put fish in right away even with live rock unless you want to use it as a canary. There are very basic corals available is you want to give the a try. Experience is not a necessity. Start your tank as you want to have it a year down the road as an example don't buy fish now that are not compatible with corals if corals is what you want down the road. If FOWLR is what you want it's not so much of a worry. A sump for the most part is a storage compartment for equipment you may want to add down the road to keep your display tank uncluttered its not a necessity I don't use one any don't have any problems.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:35 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

First off welcome to the forums and reefing

A few months ago when I was still fairly new to reefing I posted about basics for a nano reef most will apply to you but there are others here better suited to tell you about larger setups as I am a nano reefer and sumps are out of my realm of knowledge.

Nano reef basics
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91423

Any questions you have there are many experienced reefers here that are willing to help and many in the lower mainland area that can offer knowledge as well. A good LFS is J & L aquatics that can help you as well.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:27 PM

pinkreef is on a distinguished road

SHOPPING LIST ONE
TANK STAND SALTMIX POWERHEAD SKIMMER LIVEROCK HEATER THERMOMETER
ALSO SAND IF YOU WANT

SHOPPING LIST TWO
ANOTHER POWERHEAD LIGHTFIXTURE

WATCH IT GROW AND CYCLE (THIS IS AN INTERESTING PART)

SHOPPING LIST THREE
TURBO SNAIL CERITH SNAIL ASSORTED SMALL HERMITS
(NO TO BLUE KNUCKLE )
MUSHROOMS XENIA ZOES LPS

IVE PROBABLY LEFT OUT SOMETHING BUT YOU GET THE IDEA
HAVE FUN
Old 03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
so I won't have to make horrible mistakes n lose massive $$ and time. Thanks in advance
Welcome to Canreef! Great answers to your questions already. I will add though that even the most seasoned hobbyists still make mistakes and lose massive amounts of time and money :-) It's just part of the game
Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 PM

Thx for all the tip guys. I don't have any saltwater experience. I do have a koi pond which is very easy to take care of.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:25 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I do have a koi pond which is very easy to take care of.
Nice. Pics? :-)
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM

Here u go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.0 KB, 49 views)