Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 PM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road
Default Woodwork helper wanted (Langley/Surrey area)

Hi all,

I am re-skin-ing my stand prior to moving house and am going to make it ADA style. Seeing as I have no tools other than a screwdriver, a spanner and a hand saw, Im not particularly equipped for cutting giant sheets of MDF.

Is there someone local with perhaps at least a circular saw who could help me cut some panels? My experience with the friendly people at home depot and their wonky cuts hasn't been to great and I news dead straight lines. I would be happy to chuck in a couple of tinnies as compensation.

Thanks all,
Dunc

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default skinning

i would stay away from mdf.any water gets in the sides and it swells and disintegrates.if your ever in the burnaby area i can help you with cuts etc.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:17 AM

frd72 is on a distinguished road

It is easy to cut mdf. if you want you can borrow my circular saw??

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncangweller View Post
Hi all,

I am re-skin-ing my stand prior to moving house and am going to make it ADA style. Seeing as I have no tools other than a screwdriver, a spanner and a hand saw, Im not particularly equipped for cutting giant sheets of MDF.

Is there someone local with perhaps at least a circular saw who could help me cut some panels? My experience with the friendly people at home depot and their wonky cuts hasn't been to great and I news dead straight lines. I would be happy to chuck in a couple of tinnies as compensation.

Thanks all,
Dunc

Old 03-09-2013, 07:58 AM

ckmullin is on a distinguished road

Seal the MDF...that is key. before you throw it together seal the edges...throw it all together and seal all surface area in + out.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:19 PM

Evilweevil is on a distinguished road

Don't use mdf it's a sponge, sealed or not sealed use medex it's basically mdf with better glues and different additives to make it water resistant places like Windsor plywood would have this and are able to do a cut list for you ,I would think better then Home Depot also ( maybe)

Last edited by Evilweevil; 03-09-2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Someone can use mdf as I've used it more than once. While it isn't my FIRST choice...someone can use it, as said key is to seal. It's also a skin, not structure.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:35 PM

For relatively the same cost you can get a product that is made to be more water resistant so why wouldnt you ?being a finishing carpenter I wouldn't use mdf myself as I see sealed mdf swelling and falling apart all the time with very little water exposure , but yes you could use it
Old 03-09-2013, 03:04 PM

It wasn't the point of what is the best the OP of this topic asked about mdf not another product. I've been around wood for a number of years too and know in's and out's.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:54 PM

Yes I am sure you work with word and that you are very handy with it
Old 03-09-2013, 04:29 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncangweller View Post
Hi all,

Thanks all,
Dunc

Doesn't your Home Depot have a large stationary panel saw like ours? Unless the saw is out of alignment or loose on its guides it should be able to make straighter cuts than some weekend warrior with a circular saw. Even the folks at a Windsor Plywood should be able to do a better job on their table saw. I haven't done much finish carpentry during my apprenticeship but when I have I put the circular saw away and set up the compound mitre and table.

I agree about the use of MDF as being a poor choice for use in a wet environment as well. If you're concerned about the appearance and longevity of your finished product why not spend a little more for a higher quality and more durable material like plywood?

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour