Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 12-13-2012, 12:37 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road
Default Test kit conundrum's

Instead of the usual which tests do you guys like, I'd actually like to know which ones you don't and why.
The reason I ask is I just tried switching from Salifert's Magnesium test kit to Elos, and I can't say I like it one bit. It's too complicated. You do 3 ml SW and count how many of drop A to change colour. Note that number of drops. Then dump that out, clean the tube get another 3ml SW, add drops B, mix, add reagent C, mix, add drops D until colour change.
Take # of drops in test 1 and subtract # of drops in test 2 then multiply by 50, geeze enough already.

I've never tried anything else for Mg but these 2. Might try redsea next.
LOVE Elos Ca tests.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 AM

makana is on a distinguished road

I use the Elos test kit. Havn't used anything else to compare it against. It is a bit much though to get the result, hopefully its worth it.

I don't use the Elos alk kit because I don't believe it. I went through quite a few and they always said my alk was really low. I was doising and running a kalk drip and I could get my alk up but it would rop back down. It was very unstable. I bought every alk kit I could get my hands on and the end result was Elos was the lowest by far of all the test kits. I now go by API and things are stable.

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:56 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default tests

your second test should stay the same.all you have to do is do the first part of the test and subtract 6 or 8 depending on what your reading was,and also do half measurements of the first part and multiply it by 2
Old 12-13-2012, 01:21 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I use Elos ca and kh. But mg I like Red Sea. Still a little complicated but not as much as Elos