Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-20-2012, 02:28 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road
Default Tank aqua scaping help

My 180 has been running since Feb this year. I do not like my aqua scaping and have tried to redo it and I dislike it even more. I've looked through other threads and love how everyone comes up with great scapes, I just can't seem to get mine to work. I have big pieces of lr, some base rock, some branches but it all looks like a pile of rocks.

What's the best way to start over with fish and corals already in the tank?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:31 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

I had to move all my stuff into a few buckets when I did mine initially, but then redid it during the move
Old 09-20-2012, 02:35 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

My best one was when i put all the rocks in to the tank when water was so murky that i was Not able to see anything.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:44 AM

I did that with my other tank and loved how it turned out!
Old 09-20-2012, 02:45 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Well there's your answer turn out the lights, blind fold yourself and go nuts :P never know what you'll get in the end
Old 09-20-2012, 03:36 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
My best one was when i put all the rocks in to the tank when water was so murky that i was Not able to see anything.
That's how my current tank got done. It took two days before I could see anything Happy with how it turned out.

so maybe get some sand, dump it in the tank unrinsed, then start adding rock by feel -lol
Old 09-20-2012, 03:38 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

For me the scaping usually just turns out how the rocks fit together but there are a few rules I aim for:

1) use negative space (google the concept). In our tanks this would be bare sand, open swimming areas and view of the back of the tank. This gives the tank an open, clean, uncluttered feeling.

2) use the rule of thirds to distribute the rocks. For example, create a valley in the middle of you rocks about 2/3 of the way along the tank... So 2/3 on one side, 1/3 on the other. Have bare sand in between to highlight the divide. Or pile all your rock on 2/3 of the tank (and piled up to 2/3 of the height high) and slope it down continuously to the sand at the 2/3 point. Have bare sand on the other 2/3. Or try making two islands with one island 2x the size of the other.

3) do not make a wall of rocks

4) try to create tunnels and holes to swim through. Overhanging ledges are great spots for corals and provide the fish with places to hide, especially when the main lights are on.

5) if you want to get really crazy, you can drill your rocks and strap them together to create all sorts of interesting designs. Google bonsai reef tanks.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:53 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Here's a shot of mine a couple of days after (when the milk cleared). Actinic only, so very blue, but you can see the open scape idea, bare sand and channels that give it a bit of depth. More noticeable in person, but maybe this will help

Old 09-20-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
For me the scaping usually just turns out how the rocks fit together but there are a few rules I aim for:

1) use negative space (google the concept). In our tanks this would be bare sand, open swimming areas and view of the back of the tank. This gives the tank an open, clean, uncluttered feeling.

2) use the rule of thirds to distribute the rocks. For example, create a valley in the middle of you rocks about 2/3 of the way along the tank... So 2/3 on one side, 1/3 on the other. Have bare sand in between to highlight the divide. Or pile all your rock on 2/3 of the tank (and piled up to 2/3 of the height high) and slope it down continuously to the sand at the 2/3 point. Have bare sand on the other 2/3. Or try making two islands with one island 2x the size of the other.

3) do not make a wall of rocks

4) try to create tunnels and holes to swim through. Overhanging ledges are great spots for corals and provide the fish with places to hide, especially when the main lights are on.

5) if you want to get really crazy, you can drill your rocks and strap them together to create all sorts of interesting designs. Google bonsai reef tanks.
I've tried 1, 2, and 4 and end up with 3....not sure if you've some of my posts, I am not good with tools and equipment so haven't even attempted drilling or strapping rocks.

I'll keep looking at others and trying to put something together.

I've got approx 150 lbs of rock give or take, is it as beneficial to have some in the sump? That would give me more room.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Here's a shot of mine a couple of days after (when the milk cleared). Actinic only, so very blue, but you can see the open scape idea, bare sand and channels that give it a bit of depth. More noticeable in person, but maybe this will help

That's pretty talented, love how this looks! I have sand now, don't need more, maybe the blindfold idea would work...lol

My goby makes caves or tunnels under all the rocks and right now, all the base rocks are on the glass but I don't think he would cause a collapse if they were on the sand.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep messing around with it.