Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-30-2012, 03:41 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough
Default blueberry gorgonian tips??

anyone keeping one healthy or long term?? anything your doing special??
Old 03-30-2012, 04:55 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

I tried one before.....it lasted a few months......from what I gather.....feed phyto-esque foods heavily and tonnes of flow......anything that gets caught in them, ie. algae, must be removed immediately....the tissue damages rather easily and can open them up to trouble
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694

Last edited by fishytime; 03-30-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:03 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
I tried one before.....it lasted a few months......from what I gather.....feed phyto-esque foods heavily and tonnes of flow......anything that get cought in them, ie. algae, must be removed immediately....the tissue damages rather easily and can open them up to trouble

that was the the same as my purple frilly one as well if it never got enough flow it would get algae. ive had the frag for almost a week now for the first couple of days the polyps would just kinda show you could see the ends of the tips, now they are out most the time.

im trying to see what i want to get to feed it right now i get a feeding response using fauna marin ultra clam just not sure if its anygood longterm although longterm isnt very much heard of.

now that its showing polyps im gonna move it in a couple days off the shelf and into the shade .
Old 03-30-2012, 05:06 AM
R.I.P.

heres a pic of it now, the frag had some ends that were exposed on 2 branches so once it finishes acclimatizing to my tank ill trim them back.i can start to see blue in the stem as opposed to the brown its been:P

Old 03-31-2012, 01:08 AM

bkelly is on a distinguished road

i picked up one a bit ago too , sure are neat. It came very healthy i think it was in a higher nitrate system its suffered with me , fell into my anem a couple times but got it now in my frag tank maybe to stay as i fear my display tangs/angels will go to town on it. I been trying the Fauna ultra sea fan powder. hope it pulls through.

brent
Old 03-31-2012, 01:57 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Impossible. Nobody has ever managed to keep those more than a few months, not even those with dedicated non-photosynthetic tank with constant feeding system.

First we don't know exactly what it is eating but it is not eating phyto, more likely rich water with zooplankton in it.

And second, it grow in deep water so the warm water in our tank is very detrimental to it. Most probably it would need water at temperature of around 60F to 65F and only blue light so no algae can grow on it. It live is deep water with very rich cool water from the deep.

It is probably the hardest to keep non-photosynthetic coral.

I managed to keep one for about 4 months feeding it 10 to 12 times a day with fauna marin ultraseafan, ultramin, reefroid, coral frenzy, oyster eggs, rotifeast, you name it. Yet it died never mind what I did.

Mine even regrew the flesh at the base that was damaged but it still died anyway.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:59 AM
R.I.P.

very difficult but i wouldnt say impossible , there are people on the nps section of rc that are having success granted its not 10 years but its better then a month or 2:P

tonight it gets its "permanent....if im lucky enogh to call it that" spot in my tank and off the shelf as i fear film algae will get it if i dont, so its going down with my suncorals in the dark.

the polyps are getting bigger with each day in my tank, when i recieved the frag some of the ends were stripped down to the root so im gonna cut it back and see if it heals:P
Old 03-31-2012, 11:50 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Impossible, unless you feed phytoplankton to the point that the water constantly has a greenish tinge to it
This is one species that should not be imported because they end up dying in reefers tanks.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:24 PM

sumpfinfishe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sumpfinfishe

Quote:
Impossible, unless you feed phytoplankton to the point that the water constantly has a greenish tinge to it
This is one species that should not be imported because they end up dying in reefers tanks.
a perfect reply to this thread!

all that we do is touched with ocean,
yet we remain on the shore of what we know
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/aquarium
Old 04-01-2012, 12:12 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Sure, dream on

Unless you have a dedicated NP tank with constant feeding it is impossible to keep beside a few months. Even if you have a NP tank with dedicated feeding it won't thrive, it will just maybe survive.

Never heard of anyone keeping it more than 2 years.

Do you even have a NP tank with constant feeding? if you do then you cen keep it for a while if you don't then how can you even expect to keep it long term? impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
very difficult but i wouldnt say impossible , there are people on the nps section of rc that are having success granted its not 10 years but its better then a month or 2:P

tonight it gets its "permanent....if im lucky enogh to call it that" spot in my tank and off the shelf as i fear film algae will get it if i dont, so its going down with my suncorals in the dark.

the polyps are getting bigger with each day in my tank, when i recieved the frag some of the ends were stripped down to the root so im gonna cut it back and see if it heals:P